Chapter 16

Nine

I woke up the next morning in Dig's bed. I silently smiled reminiscing about how we did it last night. It didn't just feel like sex, it felt like....love. Did he even love me?

I felt someone shift in the bed next to me, feeling a pair of warm hands wrap around my waist. "Morning baby girl." Diggy says while kissing me with his sweet lips. God, his lips.

"Morning..." I replied unwrapping his arms & getting out of the bed. I really got to thinking to myself. It made me a little uncomfortable to be quite honest. Should I talk to him?

"Baby...you good?" He asks me still laying in bed. I lean against the door frame to the bathroom. "Yeah I am...um..Dig, can I ask you a question?" I said. "Just did, haha." He replied getting out of bed walking over to me. I sucked my teeth & crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm serious, Daniel." He breathed out loud. "Aight, wassup then?" He asked. I took a deep breathe.

"....What are we? Like, are we together? Cause days like this I live for with you. And I don't know if you feel the same way,but if you do it's okay. We've known each other for years and obviously I've grown an attraction towards you. Ain't no room for frontin' so I won't. Daniel....I'm in love with you."

After I finally said it, it's like a weight was lifted off my shoulders, like I needed to say that. All the built up pressure had disappeared from my chest. After I finally confessed my feelings, he just stared at me.

God, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.

"You know what, never mind. Disregard what I just said. I'm stupid okay? I'll just go." I said about to leaving the room. I felt so stupid! Of course he wouldn't feel the sa-

"NYLA!" Diggy semi-yelled. My hand was securely wrapped around the doorknob, about to shamefully walk out of my embarrassment. I was afraid to even turn around and see what he wanted.

"Can you come sit down....please?" He asks me. I turn around and walk towards the edge of the bed to take a seat, like he said. He joined me shortly, picking me up & gently placing me upon his lap.

"Nyla....I don't usually express my feelings to anyone...or at all for that matter. But you...it's just something about you that changes me. And I love that...as well as I love you too."

A smile spread across my face slowly, realizing that he said it back.

Daniel Dwayne Simmons III is in love with me.

********************************************
Diggy

After getting ready for the day, Nyla and I decided to put our plan in action. We were sitting at the dining room table with papers spread around everywhere. Pictures, files, confidential information even the police didn't have.

"Okay so what about this guy? 36 years if age, former Crips member & has been locked up multiple times for grand theft, 18 years in total." I explained to Nine. We were looking for someone to take out Ghost...before she could take out any of us.

"We're looking for a killer Dan, not someone to steal her car babe, really? What about a private investigator?" She pitched. It didn't seem like the best idea because private investigators weren't always so private.

"I don't want to do that. If we can't find anyone I'm just gonna do it myself." I said.

"That could work too...but I don't want anything to happen to you. I don't know..." She said to me. I looked up from the file I was reading & stared right into tho emerald green eyes that made my knees buckle. She's so hypnotizing.

"Nyla...as long as I clean up after myself, you don't have to worry about a thing sweetheart. I'll be fine." I assured her.

Fatima and Viviana then walked into the kitchen, interrupting our moment.

"Hey Dig, um I'm going to visit my mom. I'll be back in time for shifts." She said. "I assume Viv is attending with you?" I asked. She nodded, grabbed her keys, and waved to us once walking out the front door.

"Since when did Fatima visit her mom?" I asked. It was new to me, if you would've asked me I didn't even know she had contact with her mom. "Since she found out her mom had AIDS." Nine said. My mouth dropped. "Damn..." "Yeah, I know." She said.

Seeing Fatima go visit her mom made me think about my own family. I haven't seen them in...I don't even remember the last time I saw them. Its been years...

"I'm gonna go make some calls." I told Nine. She nodded and I got up to exit the kitchen. I went outside and sat on the first couple of steps in front of the door. I pulled out my phone to call....my parents.

One ring...two rings...three-

"Hello, Simmons residence"

It was her. My mom.

"Hey...it's me..." I said.

There was a long pause. "......Daniel?" She weeped. "Daniel is that you?! Oh my God! JOEY!!! JOEY COME HERE!!" she yelled into the phone.

I was outside talking for a good two hours. Just catching up with them on....everything. I confessed and told them about my profession. The money, house, drops, girls, they knew about it all.

"Come and see us soon Daniel, I mean it." My mom told me. I agreed and said bye to both of them, ending the call.

"Hey, I'm going to Chipotle, want something?" Nine came outside asking me. I volunteered to go with & she agreed.

"So what were you doing outside on the phone for so long? I hope you found some good connections." She said getting on the highway. "I was actually talking to my parents..." I said. She glanced over quickly and smiled. "Aww little Daniel has a soft spot!" She said reaching over to pinch my cheek. "Aye, stop that shit. I'm still me." I said reassuring her. She laughed and switched lanes to exit. We soon pulled up to a Chipotle and she hopped out. "Are you coming?" She asked. "Just bring me what I usually get. Extra guac this time though." I explained. She nodded and walked off.

I don't remember anything after that.

Nine

"Yeah can I have extra guac on that one?" I explained to the employee. Chipotle servers can be so stingy sometimes.

Next thing you know, gunshots came flying through the building. Of course by instinct, everyone in the building ducked. Then, it hit me: Daniel.

After the gunshots ceased, I quickly ran outside pushing everyone in my way. I didn't see my truck anywhere.

What the fuck?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'~~~~~~

Long overdue chapter. Hope y'all like it though.

Song of the week:

The Girls On Drugs by Wale

Peace

-Leah