Chapter 19

Chapter 19

~3 hours later~

"We're going to get food all over your bed."

Kyle grinned, picking out a piece of chicken from the takeout box with chopsticks and popping it in his mouth. "I don't care."

Stephanie giggled, scooping some of the fried rice out of her own container. "Whatever."

After spending a wonderful afternoon together in bed, both Kyle and Stephanie had built up quite an appetite. Kyle suggested they get takeout from a local Chinese place and have dinner in bed, and Stephanie agreed – in addition to the fact that she was quite hungry, she also felt relieved and happy that Kyle wanted her to stick around after everything that had happened between them today.

It felt validating, like he really wanted her to be there with him. But even if he wanted her to stick around for dinner, Stephanie couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen afterwards. Would he want her to stay the night? The weekend, maybe? She didn't know, and she wasn't sure how to ask.

"...So, what do you want to do after dinner?" Kyle asked, as if reading Stephanie's mind. He looked relaxed, sitting on the bed with no shirt on and his sweatpants-clad legs stretched out in front of him, casually crossed at the ankles. He looked like a model posing for some high-end magazine, and Stephanie realized after a moment she had just been staring at him in silence. She quickly shook her head.

"Um, I don't care," she said, clearing her throat as she turned back to her food. She had tossed on one of Kyle's white button-down shirts before sitting down beside him on the bed to eat, but a part of her sort of wished that they were naked and under the covers once again. "Maybe we could watch a movie?"

"Okay," Kyle said easily, glancing up at Stephanie and giving her a wide, ear-to-ear smile. "Sounds like fun. What movie were you thinking?"

Stephanie could only stare at him, her brain unable to formulate an answer for a moment or two. This man, so casual and laid back – more so than she had ever seen him before – completely threw her for a loop, and she wasn't sure how to act around him right now. Kyle noticed her hesitancy, and he raised an eyebrow at her.

"What is it?" he asked, taking another bite of chicken. Stephanie blinked, finally looking away.

"Nothing. I just..." she paused, grimacing slightly as she thought. "I've never seen you so... casual. Happy."

"Well, why wouldn't I be happy?" Kyle asked, smiling sincerely at her. "I got to spend the day with you, and then have an amazing afternoon in bed, and now I have the pleasure of spending another few hours with you with some of my favorite takeout food. This is one of the best days I've ever had."

Stephanie was momentarily stunned by his words, but she felt the smile and blush creep onto her face as her heart thumped in her chest. No guy had ever said anything like that to her before, and the thought made her heart flutter. "Really? So today's been better than you performing for thousands of fans all over the world?"

"Much better," Kyle said immediately, scooting over so he was closer to her, his leg brushing up against hers. "With you, I can just be myself, and I don't have to present myself to everyone as 'the world's greatest pianist' or anything like that. It's refreshing."

"Oh, and he's humble too," Stephanie teased, bumping her shoulder against his, and Kyle chuckled. "So you're saying you liked the fact I didn't know who you were the moment I met you?"

"Funnily enough, I did," Kyle grinned at her. "Does that make you feel special?"

"Funnily enough, it does," Stephanie smirked back, and Kyle chuckled. "Do you want to watch that movie now?"