Chapter TwentyFive

"I have to call Charlie" I shrug off Harley's arm around my shoulders and take a few steps to the left. She stays in place and watches me as she folds her arms around her waist, either for comfort or because the air is chilly.

My hands shake as I unlock my phone and scroll the list of names for Charlie's and when I find it I press the call button immediately. I hold it up to my ear and gaze around hoping that Charlie picks up quickly. We need to get to the police station as soon as possible.

"Charles speaking" he answers. His voice is emotionless but still professional like it always is.

"Hi Charles, it's Poppy" my voice shakes as I speak and I know by the pause in Charlie's answer that he knows something is wrong.

"What can I do for you Ms. Hart?" he asks. A shout of a man grabs my attention when he makes a 'woop woop' sound. I block my spare ear with my other hand and step further away.

"Hex was arrested" I admit, the shake in my voice only worsens.

Charlie is silent for a moment before I hear noise in the background as he moves around. The rattle of keys can be heard when he picks them up.

"What police station?" he asks and I hear the sound of a door shutting.

"Eastridge" I say as I head back towards Harley who hadn't moved, neither had the guy behind her. Does she know him?

"I'll meet you there" he says and then hangs up, not giving me a chance to respond.

I put my phone back in my bra and look at Harley as she waits for me to tell her what Charlie had said.

"So? What'd he say?" she asks as she nervously bites her fingernail.

"I'm going to meet him at the police station" I say as I hold out my hands "can I have your keys, please?" I ask, hoping she gives them to me because I don't have the time to wait around for an uber. I have no idea how Hex had got here because my car is no where in sight.

"Y-yeah, sure" she reaches into her clutch and hands them over, dropping them in my cupped hands.

"Will you be okay here?" I ask as I glance behind her and make eye contact with the man that hadn't left her side.

"Yeah, go. I'll get an uber home with Stevie" she says.

"I'll take you home" the man speaks up. He looks younger close up, the glow of the street lights showing more of his features. I glance between the two of them. Harley ignores him, not even acknowledging his presence and she also ignores the look of confusion I send her way.

"Keep me updated, let me know what's happening" she says as I step up to her and wrap my amrs around her.

"I will" I say as I step back and start a jog towards her car that sits in the dark car park. I get in the car and lock the doors out of instinct. I start up the engine and then pull out of the car park, giving Harley one last look. She hadn't moved as she watches me leave, the man close behind her.

The police station is close by and only a short ten minute drive. I see the police cars that had taken Hex away parked close to the entrance. There's no one around and I assume they've already taken him inside.

It's intimidating to walk into the station but I push past the anxiety and soldier on. A policewoman sits at the reception; she looks up at me when the sliding, automatic doors open. I walk up to her, picking at the cuticles of my fingers in nervousness.

"Hi, how can I help you?" she asks with a friendly smile on her face.

"Hi, I'm looking for Hex Rose" I say and watch as her hands move faster then my eyes can keep up as she types on the keyboard and looks at the computer sceen while skimming the list of names of everyone that is currently being held in a cell here.