Chapter 6

After we change, Leto, Nyx, Clio, Quin, Maizer, Bran, and I regroup at the dining room for dinner. The dining room is situated on the 11th floor and is on a jut out that is surrounded on three sides by glass. Our tower overlooks the lake on the right and the city on the left.
    When we are all seated, a train of avoxes enters carrying several trays of pasta, cauldrons of soup, turenes of fruit, and plates of exotic meats. We dig in, while listening to Clio go on and on about how great we looked. I am flattered to know that someone with a Capitol perspective enjoyed our outfit.
    "The white flower was a beautiful touch of tradition," Clio says.
    Leto seems to smile through her pensive look, and Nyx thanks her.
    After dinner it is time to watch the rerun of the Opening Parade. This is when I get to see each of the other tribute's outfits. Adore and Hero, the District 1 tributes, are wearing relatively simple matching outfits with golden and silver tassels with extreme makeup that renders them almost unrecognizable from the reaping. Bea and Orion, the District 2 tributes, are wearing drab grey suits with red glowing buttons. Honestly, this is one of the better outfits they've gotten in recent years, but it is a far fall from the golden and silver armor and capes they used to get. Next is Pix and Sprocket from 3, they have rather fashionable outfits that are iridescent jumpsuits that change color to reflect the light. Their outfit is somewhat awkward though, since Sprocket is wearing clunky goggles and Pix is wearing a large headpiece. Reeler and Jib from 4 are wearing pastel blue frocks surrounded by red coral that seems to hover around them. Then we are shown the District 5 tributes, Mola and Gamma.
    I think about Rose, Azure, and Flavo and their comments about the two from 5. Their prep team managed to pull off a pretty good transformation. Each is wearing a heavy layer of makeup and are dressed in black jumpsuits with a twinkling neon framework that makes them look like glowing skeletons. Lex and Aaron from District 6 are wearing odd outfits that look like they are wrapped in black shiny tendrils that resemble oil. Their makeup is dark and makes them look very threatening. Now it is Phlo and Heath's turn from 7, they are wearing red plaid tops with bottoms that look to be made out of tree bark. Not the most creative outfit, but both pull it off well. District 8's tributes, Spoola and Ross, aren't wearing much of anything. They have skin tight black undergarments on and are draped in long capes made of shimmering red yarn. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the look, but the way Clio gasps at it tells me the Capitol might think otherwise.
    Then I see Bran and me, wearing the rigid grain outfits that make us look from woven baskets sold in the market. We do look good, and my anxiety over the parade disappears. Of course, a more overwhelming anxiety about the situation at hand lingers. After us are Pastor and Austin from District 10, they are wearing large fur suits that shift between different patterns. They start as an orange animal with black stripes, that switches to a yellow one with black spots, then back to black stripes but white fur, and on and on. They are one of the best dressed tonight. The District 11 chariot is next carrying Clementine and Till, they are wearing outfits made of dozens of different fruits, some of which I'm not sure I've even seen before. Finally is the District 12 tributes, they are wearing black shirts and pants that occasionally flash different hues of red. There's, while simple, is very elegant in design.
    Once all of the tributes are out on the parade route we see President Ring's speech, which is this time followed by the anthem. After that we see several audience reactions to the parade.
    "I'm curious to see what comes of Clementine from District 11," a woman who bares a striking resemblance to a turkey says.
    "The District 5 outfits were absolutely stunning," says a man with 6 inch long blue eyebrows.
    "I'm always partial to the District 9 outfits," says a woman with shining gold hair chuckles. I recognize her from TV back home, her name is Ceres Pers.
    "I'm always astonished by what these stylists come up with," says a bald woman with gemstones encrusting her head.
    The gushing goes on for about 15 minutes and then it is time for the final part of mandatory programming for the evening. Otius O'Hall, master of ceremonies, appears sitting at his commentator's desk. This is when we get an explanation of the next few days. He takes a moment to go over Tribute Scores, the combined Training, Sponsor, and Public Scores. He tells the audience the next mandatory viewing is on the 8th, Friday evening when the first of our scores will be revealed to the country.
    "With that, I wish everyone a good night. Stay on Capitol TV for an exclusive interview with victors Shimmer and Shine Monet after these messages."
    The Capitol fanfare plays and he disappears. Just as the sponsor messages begin, Quin turns the TV off. "Great, great job you two," she says, flashing us a smile.
    "Oh the Capitol will love you two," Clio says, almost dancing around in her 9 inch heels.
    We spend a few moments talking about the evening, and then Leto, Nyx, and Clio wish us a good night. They leave through the elevator leaving just Quin, Maizer, Bran, and I in the living room.
    "All right you two," Maizer says. "Tomorrow starts training, and it's not going to be easy."
    "Yes, we will discuss it at breakfast. This isn't going to be easy, it never is, and this year is even more so than usual. We will need to talk to each of you about your skills before training begins tomorrow so try to be prompt for breakfast," Quin says.
    Bran and I agree, "We might be tough on you," says Maizer, "But we're here for you, as nice as it is here, we need to prepare you as best as possible."
    "Yes, we have your backs, but you need to give us something. We've watched dozens of games, and we've seen it all," Quin says. Sure Quin is our most recent victor from over 20 years ago but we've come close a couple times. The pain of mentoring people and watching them die is hard to watch, but this year with two volunteers, despite being forced, they think they might actually have a chance to mentor someone to victory.
    "Like Clio said, big day tomorrow," Quin says, "Go clean up and get a good night's sleep."