Chapter 16

While Alex slept soundly beside me, I lay wide awake. How could he sleep at a time like this? Earlier tonight, I exerted as much energy as he did, but I still couldn't sleep. He hadn't slept so peacefully for days, so why now? If I couldn't sleep, I figured I might as well write something. As I reached for my notebook, Alex stirred slightly, draping an arm across my stomach. His eyes remained closed.

My darling Alex,

Until now, I have never been at a loss for words. Words cannot begin to describe my feelings for you. When I close my eyes, I see your face. I smell your scent. I feel your breath against my neck. All those things make me grateful to be alive. I'm grateful you saved my life that fateful night in February. I'm grateful you're alive and you're in my life. I will always remember this summer. I'll always remember you, my dear Alex.

Your soul is gentle yet strong. You have a fire inside you that fuels your will to live. If you didn't have such fire, then you wouldn't have such desire.

The way you kiss me. The way you touch me. The way you use your mouth and tongue. My body instantly reacts just thinking about these ways. I will always remember lying naked in your arms and wishing we could stay like that forever.

But that is not reality.

It's okay to dream, isn't it? It's okay to dream about a day when two men can be together without repercussions. I long for that day.

You're very special to me, and I will always keep you close to my heart.

All my love,

Joel

I folded the piece of paper and carefully lifted Alex's arm so I could get out of bed. In his suitcase, on top of his clothes, I placed the note. Fighting back my tears, I got back in bed. Alex stirred again. This time he opened his eyes. "Sorry," I said, running my hand up and down his bare arm. "I didn't mean to wake you."

Resting his chin against my shoulder, he slid his hand down my front. "I'll miss sleeping naked in bed," I said as he massaged my dick. "I'll miss this."

He withdrew his hand and sat on my lap, suddenly as awake as I was. At three in the morning, I was about to have my way with him. Why was I so damn sensitive all the time? My dick was all the way up there, and he was enjoying himself tremendously when I ruined the mood, sobbing against his stomach. Alex hugged me, stroking my back. "Don't cry, Joel," he said against the top of my head.

"Sorry." I dug my fingers into his lower back.

"I have a confession to make. Remember when we first met and you told me all those lies and I said I hated you? That was a lie. I thought you were.... hmm... how do you say it... I thought you were interesting and funny and very handsome."

I looked up at him, sniffing back my tears. "I thought you were handsome, too."

After we finished, I finally fell asleep in his arms. When I woke, Alex and his suitcase were gone. In my bathrobe, I wandered downstairs and found him in the kitchen devouring a plate of pancakes. Mom made sausage and bacon, too, but Alex didn't eat either for religious reasons that I never completely understood. I bet he didn't understand why Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays. As usual, Dad was at the head of the table and Mom was busy at the stove. Alex hogged the bowl of fresh strawberries and raspberries. Alex loved all kinds of berries. In fact, he loved all fruit. Mom put together a going-away package for him that contained fresh peaches.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Mom said to me.

"You're gonna comb your hair before we drop Alex off, aren't you?" Dad said. As I sat at the table, Alex ran his fingers through my messy hair, attempting to straighten it out.