Prolouge

(A/N: Hi! I'm Slippy, the creator of what you're reading. Just as an excellent heads-up, the following chapter is a bit... Well, crappy. I had written this a long time ago, and I promise, the story will get better, so bear with me! AN: I updated this chapter on January 22, 2019. Enjoy!)

"You can't take her, Thor! You cannot take her!"

Shadowed by the setting sun, the man called for his brother, far ahead of him. The two were illuminated by the changing colors of the bridge beneath their feet. His eyes glinted with tears as he saw the small hand of a child in his brother's arms. The man raced after him, catching up, a few feet away.

"I will do what is best for her," Thor whispered, just loud enough for him to hear. He took off his red cape and wrapped the infant in it, bundling it tightly.

"No, Thor- stop- she is mine!" The man stuttered, reaching out to touch the child. Thor drew her away, and the infant's hand brushed the man's finger. She giggled melodically, happy to be warm.

"Loki, you know it must be this way."

"No! It doesn't have to- no, just- let me-" Loki choked, memorizing the child's face, her touch, her laugh. If he was going to lose his daughter, what keep him sane, he wanted to drop into madness with his memories of her.

It would be the last he ever heard of his daughter. The last time he would see her again. He would never feel her touch, see her smile, or hear her first word.

Thor nodded to the guardian of the Bifrost, Heimdall, who slid his sword into the slot on the platform. The bridge pulsated, feeding energy into the warp. The galaxy twisted before them, and endless tunnel through space and time.

"She is my daughter, Thor! You cannot take her! Please- don't-" He stumbled, starting to run his hands through his hair frantically. He was panicking; hyperventilating. The world started to become blurry. Loki could feel the vibrations of Thor's footsteps as he stepped closer to the tunnel; he could feel his heartbeat in his ears, pounding away his thoughts and words.

"I am sorry brother. Forgive me."

Loki had lost his wife, Sigyn, and now his daughter. The blood rushed to his head, filling it with nothing but the pounding of his heart, drumming away at his skull. Dropping to the ground, he curled into a ball, forehead on the cool, metal floor. He dug his fingers into the back of his skull until they drew blood, and then pounded the ground once, a desperate, weak action.

He would never see her again, never enjoy her smile or her laugh or her childhood, never see her grow and be bold and strong and loving and fierce and-

Never.

~

With a thud, Thor landed on Midgard, and the tornado-seeming warp disappeared from existence. He looked around to see that he had fallen on the Helicarrier, silently thanking Heimdall.

     The smoldering design of the warp had left some of the rubber burning, and those who came out to see Thor regarded him with guns and gas masks. He was escorted by the rather small Midgardians into the flying base, with the child in his arms now sleeping peacefully. Fury glanced at Thor with his good eye and motioned for him to follow- he had been informed of Thor's actions on Asgard and allowed him to leave the child in care of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Are you sure about this, Director Fury?" Thor asked as he walked alongside him. Agents jumped out of their way as they rounded the corridors.

The Director scoffed. "Yes. We have the best facilities to keep an eye on her and if she gets out of hand," he glanced at a passing, glass chamber, "we have the equipment to keep her in check." He finished, walking out to the Bridge. Thor was silent for a moment.