Chapter 1: Beginnings

|Chapter 1|

.:Beginnings:.

Letter 9

Dear Hope,

It's hard to believe that it's been a month since I've written to you! Technically it's been two months and that's even worse. I wrote you on the second of January and now it's February! It's February eighteenth, Hope! I've been so busy that I haven't had time to get to the notebook. Then I lost it. I apologize for that one. Anyway, the only thing that came was Valentine's Day and it came and went without much trouble. Matt made me a card and brought me chocolate because he knew that I'd be alone all day. I've always been on that day. It's not a big deal, but I'll hate it forever. That's for sure. 

Other than that, not much has happened. I realized, again, that I like this boy named Peter. I've liked him since last year when we met, but there's something different about him now. He's not quite as intimidating as he used to be. I think I might tell him that I like him soon, at least if Fiore does her job. Her job is to find out if he's single or not. I think it's a good assignment for her, considering she's on my dislike list and needs to make things up to me. She and Matt are fighting a lot lately and the anxiety and drama is not good for me.

Hope, I was wondering, what is love? I'm not really sure about the question anymore. It's not that I don't want to know, but it's hard to hold on to something like love when things are going so bad. I'm starting to feel a bit empty again and I'm not sure I like it. Still, I'm holding on as tightly as I can. Hope, please help me find the person or thing that will fill the hole that's starting to form in my heart and give me the strength to fight for it.

Thank you for everything,

Aline

"Alright, you two." A pair of sparkling blue eyes gazed around the shockingly loud high school library, studying the area in a curiously confused way. The confusion was rooted in the fact that the library was rarely as loud as it was in the mornings. Usually it was exactly what a library should be but when the bell rang for first hour to start, the room exploded with noise. People jumped to their feet and began a loud and sleepy rush for their first class. What exactly caused the students to get so loud wasn't certain to the owner of the blue eyes, a young girl who held clasped a leather bound journal tightly to her chest. Her name was known by most people who aided in the library. She was Aline Celia Aurora-Heiderich-Conner, but she preferred the name Ailey because it was 'more to the point'. "You two have five seconds before I leave without saying goodbye."

She was addressing the two standing nearby. A boy and a girl who had their arms around each other in what Ailey seemed to find an obnoxious fashion. She still couldn't get over how annoying Matthew and Fiore could be. Sure, they were dating, but that didn't mean that they had to be all over each other every second of the day. It wasn't that she wasn't happy for them and it certainly wasn't that she wasn't happy that they were getting along (considering they were usually fighting), but she was standing right there. Talking to them! Being ignored. Again.

Her tiny foot tapped out the five seconds she'd given them to give her their attention or acknowledge her existence. Once she gave the last tap, she turned around and walked away. Without speaking to anyone else, she rounded the corner, pushed open the door, and moved into the hallway. She would see them again after first hour and they'd apologize. Then they would do the same exact thing the next day, if they weren't fighting, of course. That's always what happened.

While she walked, her eyes took in the hallways around her. The same halls that she had walked for the past four years. She was a Senior, it was her last year at the school, for some reason this only made her realize all the details of the halls. There wasn't much to notice though. For the most part, the hallways were white brick, boring white brick with the ocassional flier or poster. That's always how it had been and for some reason it seemed as if the emptiness was worse lately. She wasn't sure what made her think this, but something did. She slowly rounded the corner and sat down, thinking now about the difference between the classrooms and the halls.