The Old Barn

The Old Barn

I looked in the mirror on a crisp fall day at 5:00 A.M. And saw my reflection of light brown hair and dark brown eyes. I'm tired and weary but ready to tend to the farm. I looked out of the window and could see the distant, dim light of the barn. I ran downstairs where I saw my mom making breakfast and my older brother waiting impatiently.

"G'morning." I mumbled walking past the scene, putting on my tattered, brown cowboy boots and slipping on my jean jacket, running out the door. As soon as I shut the door behind me, I was hit with a cool breeze. I sniffed deeply than ran to the barn.

I walked in the barn and herd pigs squealing, horses whinnying, goats bleating, and cows mooing. Good morning! I thought feeding the horses hay.

When I was almost done with feeding the animals, my brother walked into the barn, ready to help me. My brother's name is Chris and he is the spitting image of me. People often times think we are twins.

Together we started washing animals and cleaning out muddy stalls. By the time we were done it was about 9:00 A.M. And we were sweating. I walked out of the barn, about ready to eat breakfast and take a shower, but instead stopped to examine it. The barn was about 30 years old and had chipping red paint on it. It smelled like a zoo and it was my home. I love that old barn. I thought, and walked inside.