Chapter 2

The family was out in the town helping people i guess so i went back to my room with the darkened door, i knew what that meant, it happened to Bruno's door when he left and it never changed. I knew I wasn't getting back home anytime soon. I tried to sleep in case this was a dream but I knew it wasn't.

I couldn't sleep so I paced around my room trying to think about a way to get back home because my magic wasn't working. I was also thinking about a lot of different things which probably played into that, like when am i? What does my family look like? How long have I been gone for them? Then I started to freak out about my poor parents, Mamá, especially because she lost her dad, her brother and now me.

I knew I wouldn't be able to leave until I got some of these questions answered but I was too nervous to leave my room. I started to think about the dying miracle and how Mirabel must have saved it otherwise I wouldn't be standing in my bedroom.

I finally rounded up the courage to go downstairs around 6 when we usually have dinner. I was as quiet as possible but I figured Dolores would still hear me. I stood hidden in the doorway into the dining room. I could barely see anyone but a child sitting in between Dolores and Mariano. wow so they got together AND had a kid?

i knew she knew someone was in the house so i moved back a little and whispered under my breath, "Dolores come into the hallway, it's urgent"

I heard her say excuse me and get up out of her chair, i hid again out of instinct and watched her look around confused about who had been talking. I whispered again, "don't make any loud noises" as I started to get up from my hiding spot.

her eyes widened as she saw me she squealed and gave me a big hug.

"i'm from the past, and i can't get back"

"no shit you're from the past you don't look a day older than the last time i saw you."

"I need the family's help, but I can't go in there alone, I need you to break the ice or something."

"ok sure thing" she finished whispering the conversation.

She walks over to the doorway and clears her throat signaling the attention on her, "Someone is here and they need our help, but they are very frightened so don't overwhelm them."

she looks over at me and nods her head signaling me over to her. I took a couple baby steps until I was almost in view and Dolores took my hand and pulled me out from the doorway. Everyone gasped, jaws dropped, their eyes popped out of their heads, I looked around in astonishment, everyone had grown up, even Antonio who looked like a young teenager. i was close to crying until i locked eyes with my mamá who had tears streaming down her face and a cloud above her head, then i was full on sobbing. she ran over to me and so did my papá, Antonio and twin Camilo who had to be at least five years older than me by now. they pulled me into a tight embrace and even abuela came over to join in. 

After two minutes I was at the center of a group hug that consisted of too many people to count. then as we all separated i noticed another face, not new just, old- "Bruno?!" I exclaimed, in my mind I had gone through who would be here but I never expected him to be.

"hey kid."

"what happened?" I ask.

"you disappeared..." Pepa started.

"how long?" I ask, terrified for the answer. 

everyone looked around at each other, no one wanted to tell me. they could see the fear in my eyes.

"eight years." Camilo finally spoke up.