chapter 2

COSETTE

Being a Russian is difficult. Especially with the invasion and random stares from people, I couldn't even have friends, to begin with.

Every time I'd try to introduce myself to new people, they either run away or interrupt me with a bunch of questions relating to the 'war'.

It sucked. As this was getting popular as it was, the scarier and more frightening it would be. Lately, I was hiding in my dorm this entire time when I came to find out that people were insulting Russians in bars and clubs.

I hid and stayed on my bed. Usually, my roommate would enter and say greetings. But she never came. She probably heard the news and was frightened to face me.

I would be too. It was getting scary and I'm scared. I had forced myself to go take a walk in the streets just a few days after the fighting incident.

Since it was a such rainy day on Thursday, there weren't a lot of people walking around. I love the rainy day, it makes me so comfortable and worthy in my own skin.

I had my black hat on with my headphones underneath, the wires through my phone. I wore a jacket with grey pants on and my hands were dug inside the jacket pockets with my phone in them.

My ears were blasted with soft music. It was like a filter with rain noise mixed with the music, but the rain noise made it even better.

I turned left and looked down as the music suddenly stopped. I pulled my phone out and resumed the music. As I looked up, my eyes instantly closed, my head colliding with a strong arm.

I quickly backed away and rubbed my forehead, earning a small ow from the person in front of me. I stopped the music and pulled my headphones off as I looked up at the guy and felt distracted.

"I'm so sorry. Are you ok?" He asked, glancing at me and I nodded my head, swallowing hard. He swiftly touched my arm to make sure that I was alright and then smiled at me.

"I'm sorry about that too." My deep Russian accent appeared. I felt so awkward and embarrassed. "Sorry. My English isn't good." The guy smiled again.

"It's alright. It's all cool. I'm Anthony." He pulled out his hand and I shook it gently. A small sparkle shook through my arm as we parted away. I looked at his hand and immediately felt intensity.

"I'm Cosette," I replied, hesitatingly.

Anthony nodded and scratched the back of his neck. He closed his lips into a thin line and gave me a small smile.

"Um, it was great meeting you, Cosette. Again, I'm sorry about that. I'll see you later around." He waved his hand and disappeared behind me.

I turned to look at him but he was already gone. I went back walking with a smile plastered on my lips. I placed back my headphones and resumed the music.

After a few minutes of walking, I ordered a cappuccino and then went back to my dorm. Heading to my room, I opened the door and closed it back. There, a brunette girl stood near her desk with a short smile.

I turned and gasped, frightened by the figure. I mumbled 'sorry' and took off my jacket and shoes, heading to my bed. I took a sip from my drink and looked at my roommate as she walked up to me.

"Um, so, my brother is coming over soon. And I was wondering if you could introduce yourself to him. It's ok if you don't want to, I understand." She said, shrugging her shoulders.

I smiled a bit. "No, it's ok! When is he coming here?" I asked and she thought for a moment with a small frown.

Then, she looked at her phone and glanced at the screen. "He said-oh wait, he's here!" She instantly smiled. Before I could react, the door opened, revealing an attractive tall guy.

"Hey, sis." The two hugged, tightly. I smiled and watched the two. "How are you?" He asked her and she replied something else.

Then, my roommate looked over at me with an adorable grin as I stood up, catching their attention. I turned to look at the guy and smiled at him. He returned it.

"So, this is my roommate, Cosette. Cosette, this is my brother, Mathew."

We both said our hi's and side-hugged for a short moment. My roommate looked a little bit happier there when her brother and I hugged.

He's attractive. But not as the street guy.