Summer Vacation

I swear, if I come face to face with that cousin of his, or if he tries anything, I'll make sure he thinks twice about coming near me or my friends again.

-Marinette Dupain-Cheng

--------------------

It had only been a few days since the last day of school, and the summer vibe finally began to settle in the city of Paris. Most had been spending their first few days with their closest friends, beginning with a sleepover for Alya, Marinette, Rose, Juleka, and Alix, and a game of kickball in the park for the boys, that luckily, Adrien's father had allowed him to attend. After all, he was going into his senior year, and Nathalie had been able to convince him that it was in Adrien's best interest that he spend a little time with friends before photoshoots began again. 

However, on a bright June morning, Marinette happened to be a little more anxious than usual. Speaking of photoshoots, Adrien had informed the class shortly before the school year ended that his father was looking into taking a few of his classmates with him on a trip to London, as his aunt Amelie Graham de Vanily had offered to show them around the business world. 

Completely disregarding the haunting last name, Marinette was focused on the once in a lifetime opportunity to spend two weeks with Adrien, without his father there to ruin their plans. Pacing around her room, she glanced at the portfolio on her desk, that was spilling with old papers, graphite from her pencils littering every stray edge of the papers. She closed her eyes and sat at the desk, picking up the portfolio and carefully flipping through each of the pages. This had to work, she convinced herself. She'd put her best pieces on the top of the portfolio, and her not so hot ones were tucked away somewhere in the middle.

Bringing her knees to her chest, her portfolio in the middle, she looked at her kwami, Tikki, who was perched on a book, nibbling on a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie. "Do you think Mr. Agreste will like them?" she asked, tilting her head. 

Tikki only smiled, a soft giggle erupting from the kwami's lips. "Of course, Marinette!" she squeaked. "You haven't forgotten the hat you made, have you? You're so talented! He would be stupid not to take you," she replied, scrunching up her nose. 

Marinette took a deep breath and smiled weakly, glancing to her bulletin board, where a polaroid of Adrien wearing the feather hat that she'd designed was tacked up. "You're right," the bluenette replied, reaching up and carefully taking the photo down, running her thumb over it lovingly. Each corner was tattered and a little worn down, probably because she'd take it off regularly just to gaze into her sweet Adrien's eyes. The green that flickered through his eyes shone through the picture, and the slightest blush crossed her cheeks until she snapped out of it and tacked the photo back up. 

Noticing this, Tikki just giggled, perching on her shoulder and snuggling into the crook of her neck. "See, you'll do just fine. And, you have time to make yourself look nice! You're early for once," she commented, and Marinette grinned, pumping a fist in victory before looking in the mirror. 

The girl stopped in her tracks, glancing down at the pajamas she wore, before groaning wearily and walking over to her dresser, quickly and clumsily changing into new clothes. She decided on a navy and white polka dotted sundress tied with a ribbon on her waist, one that fell to her calves, and every time she moved, or the wind blew, the fabric of the skirt would ripple like still water being suddenly interrupted by the smallest pebble. She tied her hair up in a messy bun, a blue scrunchie holding it up on her head, and wore a pair of blue flats, looking herself in the mirror. 

After deciding that it was good enough, and fixing up her makeup for the day, she tucked Tikki away in a matching white handbag, and made her way downstairs. Sabine, who was in the living room looking for something, glanced up. "Oh, darling, you look beautiful," she cooed, rushing to Marinette's side. "Are you going out with someone?" she asked, the slightest sly smile on her face. 

Blushing, Marinette shook her head. "No, no. I have an interview with Mr. Agreste to see if he wants me to go to London this summer for a tour of Adrien's aunt's company. You know Haute Vogue, right?"

Sabine nodded in agreement, and then lit up with excitement. "That's so exciting! You'll do amazing, honey," she cooed and kissed her daughter's cheek, before Marinette said her goodbyes, and made her way out the door, clutching onto the portfolio by her side.