Chapter 13

"Why did you decide to open a sex shop?" We were walking outside. The food in the restaurant had been delicious, but I still had to give Emma her birthday present. I didn't want our evening to end yet and this question had been stuck in my mind for weeks.

"Eh, it's a long story," Emma replied and hooked her arm in mine. "Let's save it for another day."

"Okay," I said. I knew she'd said that before, but I wasn't going to force her to tell a story. We'd been inside the restaurant for longer than I'd thought and the streets were empty and dark. I really had to invest in better street lights, but it also created a nice atmosphere. "Do you want to go for a walk before we head back to our apartments?"

Emma nodded. "I'd like that," she said and we started walking at a higher pace. "Thank you, again, so much for dinner. The food was amazing and the company even better."

I laughed softly. "You're, again, very welcome. I enjoyed myself as well," I replied and looked around. We were nearing the even calmer part of Storybrooke, with just a few mansions in the street. "I got you something."

"What for?" Emma asked, confused. I grabbed a little box from my purse and she squinted her eyes. "Are you proposing to me?"

"Yes, Emma Swan, will you marry me?" I sarcastically quipped and she chuckled softly.

"Yes, yes, a thousand times yes," she joked and then turned serious. "But Regina, you don't have to give me any gifts for no reason, I.."

"I always give people gifts on their birthday," I said and she fell silent. She started stuttering some vowels and I merely smirked.

"How did you know?" she eventually managed to ask, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"I know everything," I teased and handed her the box. "You mentioned it somewhere in our mails, when you introduced yourself. I can't believe you didn't mention it at all during dinner, though."

"I don't want to make it a big deal."

"Why not?"

"Because it isn't," she said with a shrug. She sighed softly as I put the little box in her hands. "Every year on my birthday, I just feel horrible, because it's just a reminder that I haven't accomplished anything in life. Just the thought of having to do all this year in, year out, is exhausting."

This was quite upsetting to hear. I knew Emma must have had some complications regarding her feelings about life, but hearing her say it out loud, was heartbreaking.

"Emma, you've accomplished so much. You found yourself in a new town, opened a store that convinced even the prude mayor that sex is good to talk about, got over an old relationship and made tons of new friends. I know life can be very tiring at times, but we have to make the best of it and that we can do by celebrating that you made it through life another whole year, with new people and friends."

"Thank you," she muttered, softly and with a weak smile. She looked down at the wrapped gift in her hands. Her fingertips slowly moved to the tape and she carefully took the paper off the small box. She opened it and looked at the silver necklace inside of it. "Wow, it's gorgeous, Regina."

Her eyes met mine and she smiled widely. The pendant was a swan, with subtle, small lines that made it very detailed. It showed a few tiny diamonds that shimmered in the light, but that wasn't visible in this dark.

"I.. I don't know what to say, it's really beautiful. You really didn't have to, but I appreciate it very much. Thank you," she said and took it out of the box. I smiled as she struggled with putting it on.

"You're welcome. Shall I help you?" She nodded gratefully and handed the jewelry to me. Emma moved her hair to the side and I went to stand behind her. I easily put it around her neck. She released her hair and turned around. I was suddenly very aware of how close we were standing and I was terrified to move, scared that she'd step back.