Broken Vows

For a long time, I was … well, not homeschooled, but I went to a special “facility,” or nuthouse. And I became really angry, rebellious, that stuff. My whole life fell apart.

 And there was only one thing that could ever or would ever change it.

Family.

My family. I wanted my family back.

          * * * * *                                                                   

One of my vows was McDonald’s. Never eat McDonald’s again. Or Fruitopia. That vow was easy. I just told everyone I had seen “Supersize Me” and I thought it was totally gross. And though I had seen that movie and it was so disgusting, that wasn’t the reason. It was the accident. The Fruitopia that was a reminder of my parents’ blood … and the last meal I had with my mom and dad.

Another was water. Stay away from water. That vow was way harder. I mean, I was living right on the ocean, seriously. And I loved swimming. So, basically, after a week of rebelling against going into or near the water, I broke. No, not “my water broke,” I cracked – gave up, you know. Went in the water.

Since the anti-water pledge was busted, I tried to come up with another vow.

It came to me instantly. What I could do, I mean. It wouldn’t take away the fact that my family was gone, forever. But I wouldn’t just be “that orphan girl” all the time. I’d  have something to be known for.

Music.