maddy perez [a soft spot only for you part 2 ]

tags/warnings: cassie is a mess, season 2 spoilers, (does not follow the plot exactly, as I've had to change things to fit my storyline), underage drinking, irresponsible parenting, mentions of throwing up, abusive relationships, mature language, ...

tags/warnings: cassie is a mess, season 2 spoilers, (does not follow the plot exactly, as I've had to change things to fit my storyline), underage drinking, irresponsible parenting, mentions of throwing up, abusive relationships, mature language, slow burn, foreshadowing, religious metaphors, drug usage (the reader is a stoner lol), angst, internalized homophobia, mentions of violence

a/n: so much kat and reader interaction in this chapter! (hoping she doesn't appear ooc) we're slowly making progress in the series, and thank u sm to those who have been reblogging & leaving nice comments. u r all so sweet. I did say this was a slow burn & i do have a personal life so pls be patient w/me!! also reminder that u are responsible for your media consumption, and euphoria contains many heavy topics. those said topics are incorporated into my fics. with that being said, enjoy!

Before you know it, Maddy's birthday is around the corner, and any unresolved tension from the bowling alley confessions must be put aside.

Despite the strange changes Cassie had undergone over the past few weeks, her indifference in terms of throwing Maddy's party in her own home was surprising. Decorations had been set up just a few nights before with lots of back and forth due to Lexi's insistent desire for perfection. You couldn't exactly blame her, and if you had been honest, you also wished for this to be perfect for Maddy as well. Though, it was unclear whether Lexi had been uptight about the organization when considering Maddy's happiness, or if she just strived for perfection in general.

And although Cassie hadn't had the best eye for interior design, and left most of the decorations tangled in Lexi's hands, she seemed content with helping. She seemed content when you both hung up the tinsel on the doorways. She even smiled fondly when showing you the photo album she had made for Maddy. But something was off. There was a subtle crack in her voice when she pointed out each photo, examining each memory as if you hadn't been there to experience it. It was almost as if Cassie was somehow mourning the friendship presented in the earlier photos, which you noticed had caused a reaction the most. You were quick to blame it on Cassie's tendency to be overly emotional, and an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, or love for her best friend. Afterwards, it was evident it had to have been something else.

Tucking those thoughts into your back pocket, Kat and Maddy had arrived shortly after Suze had set out a third of her alcohol collection onto the kitchen counter. She freely handed out drinks, advising against telling any parents, and sluggishly raised her glass to audibly connect with each of yours.

You weren't exactly sure when Cassie had gotten her manicured hands on so many drinks, but before you knew it, she was off mumbling something about Nate when lingering around each hallway like a forgotten ghost in an old cemetery. Her makeup had already been smeared down the sides of her face, cheeks bright and rosy from the elevated consumption of alcohol, and it appeared as if her attire had completely restricted her from moving freely. You'd never seen Cassie so uncomfortable in her own skin.