Chapter 8 - Practically Family

The room they were in was cramped with only a table and three chairs that were squeezed between the walls and table. Jack's newfound sister had insisted on the room because it provided them with the privacy they apparently required. Even Felidy and Rendel weren't allowed to hear what was being said though Lina assured them that Rendel already knew everything. 

Anah chewed on the end of her braid, not so sure she belonged in that room with them either, but Lina had insisted after giving Anah a hug. "I was there when you were born, Anah," she had said. "You're practically family." 

Jack made his feelings clear with his first question. "Is Felidy my sister, too?" 

Anah scoffed, rolling her eyes. She hadn't realized she'd done it out loud until they both started staring at her. "I don't really like her," Anah admitted. "She annoys me." 

"Yes, Anah," Jack snorted. "That's blatantly obvious." 

She narrowed her eyes. "You're the one flirting with your sister." 

Lina held out a hand. "Felidy isn't related to Jako- Jack, in any way. She's more of what you may call my adopted sister. As in, I adopted her as my sister after her father's assassination and the community's retaliation against her. She was very young, and my lifestyle, believe it or not, was what was best for her. I took her in as family, and I raised her. I'd call her my daughter, but the age difference between us is only ten years." 

Jack's face held sympathy for Felidy, and even Anah couldn't help feeling bad for the girl. "Why was her father assassinated?" 

Lina sighed heavily like she carried far too much for her age. "Don't tell Fe I said this, but he was not a good man. It's a story for another time I'm afraid. We have other things to speak about at the moment. For example, why you don't remember and was never told about me. 

"Our mother's family has been coming here for generations. They're widely considered the ambassador family to the human world. When Liza was young, she became very close with the prince at the time. He's king now. His name is Heneark. He's our father, not Randy." 

"He's Elvita." Anah looked at Jack whose face was pale. He must've realized the same thing. "Your father's Elvita," she told him. "That may explain a bit."  

Jack laughed nervously. "Maybe a bit." 

"I'm not going to start bowing to you." Anah teased, trying her best to make light of the situation. Jack just looked green. "Whatever is the matter your Highness?"  

"Anah," he groaned, closing his eyes. 

She put her hand on his arm in an attempt to comfort him. Shrugging her shoulders, she gave him a light, teasing smile. "It's not that shocking; you act like a princess anyway." 

That was enough to get a smile out of him at least. "I'm sorry," Lina drummed her fingers against the table. There was a curiosity in her voice. "Are you two-" 

"No," Anah may have spoken too quickly, but she was tired of being accused of it. As if it wasn't already hard enough dealing with the fact that he preferred Felidy, being reminded of it every ten minutes didn't help 

"We're just good friends," Jack added. 

Lina nodded. "I know that this is a lot, Jack. But there's so much more, and you need to hear all of it." 

"More? Than that?" He looked exhausted after the short conversation they'd already had 

Anah still didn't feel she belonged there. "I can leave-" 

"No, Anah. You have to hear this; it's about your parents, too." Lina shook out her short hair so it fell across her forehead. Anah wished Jack would let his hair go like that. No she didn't, she decided. His hair was too much a part of him.