Chapter 3

The Headmaster turned on the mirror instantly, glaring at the mask. "What do you mean she must stay here?! We have never in our history allowed female students in this school!"

The mask seemed to glare at Crowley, its mouth pulled into a tight line. Neither spoke for what seemed like ages, but eventually, Crowley relented, breathing out a deep breath and raising a hand to massage his temples. 

"All right, Miss. Artem, you may stay here, because I am gracious! I have just remembered that there is a place where you can stay for the duration of your studies." But the smile that he gave the girl didn't stretch all the way around his face and he quickly turned back to the mirror, speaking in hushed tones that no one could hear.

"What are we supposed to do with the cat," one of the boys asked. It was the short white-haired boy, and all attention turned from the Headmaster to the cat, who was still wrapped up in the golden chains.

The red-haired boy stepped forward, one hand on his hip while the other pointed down at the cat. "Laws of the Queen of Hearts: Number 23. One shall never bring a cat to a festival. You being a cat means you've broken the rule. I shall have you leave at once." He gestured over to the large door that Y/N assumed led out of the school. 

"I'm not a cat," Grim yelled, struggling against the chains. 

Gritting his teeth, he managed to burst out of the chains, only for the redhead to yell, "Off with your head!" A second later, a black and red collar locked itself around the little cat's neck, making him wince and paw at the golden edges, hoping to remove the uncomfortable collar. 

"You think this can hold the Great Grim?! Just you wait and see. I'll burn this collar right up and..." the little cat paused and glanced down at the collar. "Eh? I can't use my fire." 

The boy smirked. "You won't be using any magic until I remove the collar. Just like an ordinary cat."

"What?! I'm not some pet!"

The smirk was gone in an instant, replaced with a malicious sneer. "Don't worry. I'd never keep a pet like you. I'll take it off anyway when you get thrown out." 

Another boy, this one with lilac colored hair, walked over to the small group. "Wow, as wonderful as ever. Any and all magic gets sealed by your unique magic, Riddle."

'So that's the boy's name,' Y/N thought to herself, staring at the boy out of the corner of her eye. 'Riddle.' 

"I want it..." the boy continued. "No. I wouldn't ever want that cast on me."

The Headmaster suddenly appeared, looking furious, and Y/N peeked around behind him to see that the mask in the mirror was no longer there, having disappeared into the thick smoke. Unfortunately, the Headmaster seemed to turn on the boy, blaming him for the reckless and careless behavior of the little critter.

'You weren't trying to catch him,' Y/N thought, fiddling with a tassel on her robe.

"You must do something about this," The Headmaster exclaimed. "It is your familiar! Properly discip-"

That seemed to be the breaking point for Yuu and he lost it. "It's not my familiar!" The hall went silent as everyone turned to the Headmaster.

"It's not yours," the Headmaster asked. He started to look between the little cat-like creature and the boy, wondering if there was indeed any connection between the two of them. 

"I've never seen it before," Yuu confirmed, crossing his arms. 

The Headmaster coughed awkwardly. "Anyway, let's get it out of the school for any rate." He turned to the raccoon-cat. "We won't turn you into a stew. For I am gracious." Then he turned to the students and asked for some of them to assist him in throwing out the strange little creature.