The Attack

• Dedicated to Youssef B.

WAM! BAM!! KABLAM!!! “Hmmm, what’s that weird sound?” said a petite woman jogging past an alleyway.

It was a breezy spring evening, with just  enough sun to feel a gentle warmth on one’s cheek. Taking three steps back, she stopped just in front of the alleyway. Where the noise seemed to come from. She peered down, but it was like trying to see light in an abyss, so she inched forward, hesitantly.

Out jumped a little kid running right past her, but he…or…she? wasn’t what the petite woman expected. The kid was too quick for the woman to get a good image it. “What the hell is going on,” the woman thought.  Hearing muffled groans, she treaded even deeper into the alleyway, heart beating like she couldn’t breathe.

“Oh…my god!” The woman gasped.

Lying on the ground was a man, probably in his forties. He looked badly beaten but there were no obvious signs of blood.  The man was bulky, but not in an “I’m strong” sense, more like "I get in the way of other people…a lot” sense. He was also lying sprawled on the ground, his eyes fixated on the darkening sky. He was blinking a lot, maybe in disbelief over what just taken place?

“Was he mugged? Is he the mugger? What the hell is going on,” the woman thought to herself again.

 Kneeling down next to the man, she asked what his name was and if he was okay. The man simply nodded, still looking at the sky. She quickly pulled out her phone and dialed 9-1-1.  The man’s focus switched to the woman on the phone. The woman helping him.

“My name is Sam,” the man said in a hushed tone.

The woman looked back down and used her hand to cover the phone’s speaker. “Hi Sam, I’m Leila. Help is on its way, don’t worry.”  Sam returned his attention to the now, night sky. He could hear the sounds of sirens coming.