CHAPTER 66

Lia glared at the man.

Carl lifted a note, inserted it under a pot on the flower bed, and looked at her again. He looked directly at her to make sure that she saw it properly.

The man turned to walk away after confirming that her emerald eyes saw what he put on the pot.

Clutching at the window frame, she relieved her palm from the pain that she just felt after.

She wanted to go down to check it right away, but Pipi and the servants are still finishing their house works on the first floor. So she waited until all of them fell asleep.

How long has it been?

Lia wandered by the window, unable to take her eyes off the pot where the doctor hid a note. Soon after, the bell of the clock tower rang from the distance announcing that it's already midnight, and the light on the first floor went out.

Pipi is a light sleeper.

However, it looks like the relief that the war has ended that she tend to sleep quite deeply the past few days.

It was a time when only the streetlights are shaken by the wind. Lia puts on some thick clothes before going outside.

She glanced around, but unable to see anyone suspicious.

What on earth was the time?

She picked up the pot and took out a moistened note.

When she carefully unfolded the paper, avoiding from ripping it, she quickly saw the writings on it.

Lia instinctively compared the handwriting of the note brought by the hawk to the one she's holding now.

It was different.

At first glance, she felt a strange sense of relief that it was clearly different.

[Brill 46th Street. On a day full of Jasmine scents.]

Lia immediately thought of the place called Brill 46th Street without much difficulty.

Not long ago, she visited a boutique with Rosina that was popular among the noble ladies.

The owner of the boutique is meticulous and quick-handed. She knows how to see a jewelry quite well, and was a pretty gorgeous woman.

In addition, the owner had seen her face.

She talked to Lia softly. If the owner is one of their colleagues, it just means that Lia was being observed through numerous eyes so far.

Maybe it's a trap.

When she thought so, her pounding heart slowly regained its pace.

Entering the house, she threw the note into the fireplace.

Then she buried herself in the armchair in front of her.

Until the well-dried firewood burns to ashes, a clear moonlight flows into the side of her face as she stares at the flame.

***

"Have you heard? Sir Mark's eldest son is back!"

"Sir Denver's youngest son returned as well. I was about to go there. Do you want to go with me? They said his leg was injured and become limp. I think I should help out with something."

"Right, let's go!"

One after another, the soldiers who participated in the war have returned.

It had been a month since the Prince declared the end of the war.