Chapter 1

A/N: Hey guys just wanted to let you know that in this book there will be some language that is inappropriate, but it's not all the time only when the characters are angry. Enjoy also the story takes place in 2003. Paul is 29 and Karina is 27.

I screamed in pain. "Please Matthew no!" I screamed. Tears running down my eyes. "I told you to fucking not go over there." He screamed. He then punched me. I fell to the floor. I sobbed in pain. I here my life. I hate it so much.

How could this happen? I asked myself. I sniffled. I remember last night like it just happened 2 seconds ago. I remember the day we got married, I thought I was in love, but I was wrong. After Matthew and I got married it was all good and whatever until 2 months ago. Matthew came home drunk and I asked him what's wrong. He then yelled at me and hit me, and ever since then it became a regular thing. I know what you're thinking, why don't I leave? I tried but he beat me so bad that I was unconscious for a whole day. The only person who knows about this is my best friend Kate. She helps me get through this. She always tells me what to do and she keeps me from cutting myself. My family and her are the ones who keep me here.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Karina Ramos. I'm Panamanian and Brazilian. I'm 27 years old. I got married when I was 26. I don't consider myself as a married woman. I'm a professional photographer. I'm not like the paparazzi people or stuff I just do family pictures and stuff.

I heard the door slam. I yelped. He's home. I backed up into the corner of the room. Matthew stumbled into the room. He looked at me with an evil smile. He then grabbed me and threw to floor. I groaned. "Hey baby." He said. I slapped him. He looked at me with wild eyes. He then punched me. I screamed. "You little bitch!" He yelled. Then he punched me. I groaned. Tears started to fall. He continued to hit me. He got up and then gave me a final kick before storming out of the room. He then slammed the front door shut. I started to sob uncontrollably. I crawled to my phone. I grabbed it and called Kate.

Kate- "Hello."
Karina-"Kate." I sobbed.
Kate-"Karina I'm coming to get you." She growled into the phone. Then she hung up.

I sobbed on the floor. I heard the door open. I yelped and backed into the corner. The door swung open. I saw Kate and her boyfriend Caleb. He gasped when he saw me. "Karina I had to bring him just in case Matthew came back." She said. I nodded. Caleb picked me up and took me to the car. He put me in the back seat. Then went back into the house. They came back out with like 2 duffle bags. Caleb put it in the back. Kate came into the car next to me. "Karina your staying with us for a while." Kate said. "Kate when I go back he'll kill me." "Well when you go back you won't be alone we will come back and stay a few days." I nodded and laid on her lap. She rubbed my back. I then fell asleep.

******
I opened my eyes. My eyes adjusted to the light. I sat up. I winced in pain. I noticed I was in a bedroom. I saw another door. I got up and went to it. I opened the door. It was a bathroom. I went into it and looked in the mirror. I gasped. I had a bruise on my cheek. I lifted my shirt up. A few tears escaped. I had a bruise the side of my stomach just below my ribs. I heard a knock on the door. "It's open." I said, while wiping my tears. "Hey I forgot to give you your make up bag." Kate said. I walked out the bathroom. She gasped. "Is it that bad?" I asked. "I'm gonna kill him." She growled. "Kate." I said. She smiled. I smiled back. I took the make up bag. "Thanks." I said. "So did you happen to grab a dress for Caleb's party for me." "No and you're still going?" "Yea." She smiled. "Ok well I didn't so we are going to mall go shower and stuff when you are ready come down stairs." She said and left. I smiled. I'm so glad I have a friend like Kate to lean on. I grabbed a towel and went to the bathroom. When I finished showering I put on some shorts and a t-shirt. I put on some makeup to cover the bruise on my face. I then put on my sandals. I grabbed my wallet that was in my bag and my phone. I then walked downstairs. "Hey you ready?" Kate asked. I nodded. I saw Caleb. I smiled. "Thanks Caleb for everything." He smiled and hugged me. I hugged back. "Anytime."

When Kate and I got to the mall we immediately went to a dress store. Kate gave me a bunch of dresses for me to try on. I tried all of them on but none of them I liked. "Ok last dress." I sighed. "Kate I don't think I would find any dress." She then handed me a dress. I looked at it and smiled. It was a black and gold strapless dress. I tried it on and stepped out. "It's perfect." Kate said. I smiled. "We are getting it." I smiled. I took off my dress and put back my clothes. I walked out with the dress in hand. We payed for the dress along with a pair of black pumps and some jewelry.

We left the mall and went back to the house. I stepped out of the car with the bags in hand. We went inside. "I'm gonna go put this upstairs." "Ok meet us in the back." I nodded and went upstairs. I put the stuff down and checked my makeup. Ok good the bruise isn't showing. I walked downstairs to the back. I walked outside. "Yo Caleb you have corona?" I asked. "Pass her a beer." He said to some guy. The guy turned around and gave me a beer. My eyes widened. "Hi I'm Paul."