May I?

*this is head canon and is i think not real. Also sorry ive been busy and procrastinating.

Immortal or not, grim reapers were once human. They still require food and sleep like mortals do, and still have human emotions. To put it simply, they need morale support as well, after all, reaping souls on a daily basis without end not knowing when they will be 'forgiven' isn't exactly a fun job.
Every year, headquarters would hold a ball/ party for the reapers to take turns to relax. It lasts for about 3 days as reapers take turns to finish their jobs and switch out with another and relax. Every reaper is invited and every one of them receives an invitation card specifying the date, time and location for their turn of relaxation. But...

"What time does your invitation say?"
"I'm sorry?" Puzzled at the question he threw at you in the middle of a shift, you could only ask him to repeat and elaborate.
"Your invitation, for the party. Haven't you received one?"
Ah, those bastards left me out again. What are they, five? Is what you wanted to say but you weren't sure what he'd do if he knew that you were getting singled out again so...
"Ah, that party, yeah, I wasn't planning on going anyway so I didn't pay attention. Have fun though! Let's finish this quick so you don't be late."
"..." He was silent for a while, he just stared at you as you felt pressured by his height and questioning gaze. "You didn't get one did you. You probably didn't even know that there was a party."
Well, cat's out of the bag. "Sigh, can't hide anything from you can I? Yeah, didn't get one. It's fine though. Wouldn't go even if they invited me. They'd probably find every way possible to humiliate me if I went, it'd be such a pain. I don't like fancy places anyway, makes me feel uncomfortable. So it's fine."
"What if I invited you?"
"Eh?"
"Would you go then?" He looked straight into your eyes, you could tell he was very serious and very much planned on doing whatever he was scheming inside that silver head if his.
"Are you even allowed to??"
"Common curtesy of a ball is that your allowed to bring a plus one. And even if it wasn't, who would dare to stop me anyway?"
"But I don't even have an outfit to go to the ball? And aren't those super expensive? Where would I get-"
"I'll buy you one."
"I'm sorry, what?! Senpai, you-!"
He was determined, you could see it in his eyes as he reflected yours in turn. You knew that no matter what you said, he wouldn't change his decision.
"Sigh, fine. Can't stop you even if I wanted to. Then let's get this over with so we can go."
He smiled. "Of course dear."

Straight after your job was done, he dragged you to a very, and I mean VERY, fancy looking store that looked like it'd shine brighter than the sun. You were a commoner in this and your previous life so the very sight if the shop left you frozen in shock from it's overwhelming shininess. You did feel bad that he was paying for you, but you knew that there's no way your salary would be able to pay for whatever's inside, which begs the question; just how much does this man make???
As soon as you stepped inside, he ordered the shop keepers to help you try on a seemingly never ending stream of dresses. From blue to orange and from yellow to purple, you were dressed in all kinds of dresses until you dropped in the ground. You had only heard about it from mangas and web comics in your previous life but never thought that changing could actually be this exhausting.

After about a couple hours, you had finally stepped out in the dress that the shop keepers found the best for you. He had been waiting for hours, but the sight if you in that gown was so breathtaking, that every second of it was worth it, forever imprinted in his mind.
Your crimson dress flowed like waves as it swept across the floor. Deep violet at the end of the dress that glimmered like the night naturally blended with the vermillion roses that decorated across and around your slim figure. Ribbons wrapped around your arms and legs complimented your black silky hair that flowed down to your waist. Your dark hair decorated with pearls and petals tied and shaped like roses went well with the scarlet make up the shop keepers had put on you.
At that moment, to him, you were more beautiful than any flower than could ever exist, proud that he had you as your partner, "I'll buy this one."
"Not rent?!"
"Thank you for your patronage!"
It seems that was also he was dressed up. A rare sight that was hard to forget. His hair braided one side and tied up in a pony tail. He usually had a long coat on so you couldn't see it probably, but the suit he was wearing highlighted the slim but muscular figure that you had been fighting alongside all this time. The design was a simple black suit, but it suited him perfectly, in more ways than one, you had a feeling that anything fancier would have made you go blind.
He got up from his chair and extended his hand to you. "Shall we?" You gave him yours and you both returned to Headquarters hand in hand.

Time skip to when you arrived at the ball, the two of you had immediately become the centre if attention. Everyone else had made way for your entrance and parted like the red sea. You felt the gazes of a few people staring daggers at you, but quickly averted their gaze as soon as he glared back at them.
The next music had started to play, and before you was your senior who extended his hand to you once again. "May I have this dance, my dear?"
"It would be my pleasure, senpai." The moment you places your hand in his, he pulled you across the room, spinning and turning to the orchestra in the background. You locked eyes with him, and for the rest of the dance, it was as if you two were the only ones in the world. You glided and twirled across the ballroom, never taking your eyes off each other.

The music had come to a close, you bowed to each other and retreated to a balcony to escape from the crowd. Kicking off those painful high heels, you leaned against the balcony.
"Ha ha ha, that was fun! First time doing a ball dance, glad I didn't step on you or anything. Wouldn't want you to have swollen feet or anything."
"Even if you did, I could just lift you up, even if you have that dress on, you're so small and light, it'd be like lifting a feather."
"It's not my fault you're so tall and I'm so short!"
"Well then whose is it?"
"You!"
"Fu fu, I'm joking, dear," he leaned down and caressed your hair, "you were very beautiful tonight, my dear."
"! You-! Honestly, are you like this with everyone?"
"Fu fu fu, I'll leave that up to your imagination dear."
"Sigh, honestly." You stared out into the night sky, feeling the gentle breeze rustle through your hair. Suddenly you heard a high pitched sound of a fuse setting off, soon after, grand fireworks started appearing in the sky one after another.
"Woah! I haven't seen these in forever! So pretty!"
"So it seems."
"Hey senpai?" You looked at him and smiled brightly, "Thanks for bringing me today!"
For a moment, it was as if time had stopped for him, your bright, warm smile shone brighter than the fireworks the bloomed behind you. To him, you were more beautiful than any blossom, more gentle than any sunlight. Even if he only heard through stories, he knew at that moment, the reason his heart had skipped a beat.
"Your welcome, my dear, anytime." He smiled back in return.
You returned to enjoying the fireworks that were set off that night. "So pretty!"
"Yes, dear, they really are."

That's how that unforgettable night ended. And from then on, the song you would hum the most was the song that played at the night of the ball, the night your first dance was stolen by your partner. And he was more than happy to hear you hum it, over and over again.