38 | not everyday

Rowan

They had found us.

The flashing red and blue lights illuminated the skeletons of the trees. 

"Fuck," Charly cursed and she leaped off the hood of the car. She left her blanket on the ground as she tore open the passenger door. 

At the same time, I opened Tommy's door. "Tommy! Tommy, wake up!" I shook his shoulder until he jumped upright and stared at me through blurry vision, "The cops are here, come on. We gotta run." 

"What the fuck?" I heard Kyle shout. 

Tommy said nothing as he got out of the car. I backed up, my eyes flickering over the roof of the car to see the police closing in. I could see the dust rising in the headlights as they sped towards us. I spun around when I heard tires tearing up gravel and dirt.

There were police closing in from both sides. 

"Let's go!" Tommy hollered, "Leave the car!" 

I snapped out of my trance and I started sprinting after Tommy and Charly. They had taken off down the slight downhill slope into the cornfield. Kyle abruptly stopped in front of me. 

I cursed, fumbling to stop before I ran into him. "What are you doing?" I blurted. 

He glanced back at the car, "We should set it on fire." 

"What? We don't have fucking time," I grabbed his hoodie sleeve and tried to pull him in the direction Tommy and Charly went. They had disappeared within the tall corn stalks. 

"The gangs did it all the time to eliminate evidence," Kyle was determined and he broke free from my grip and ran back to the car, "It will buy us some time because they won't let a wildfire get started!" 

I felt my heart beating harshly. This wasn't good. I saw the police cars, they were nearly upon us. We had maybe thirty seconds before it would be too late. 

Kyle was leaning into the passenger side, the door hanging open, and I knew couldn't leave him. I would never leave him behind again.  

Against my will, I ran back to the car. 

I scrambled for my lighter in my hoodie, and I felt like it kept slipping away from my fingers. I was shaking. I was terrified, and my body was screaming at me to run. It wasn't every day that I ignored my instincts in order to stay behind. 

"Here," Kyle was in front of me, shoving an array of papers into my hands, "Light 'em up!" 

I obeyed without thinking and started flicking the lighter. Out of my peripheral vision, I saw Kyle crawl under the side of the car. He had something sharp in his hand. A second later, I could smell gasoline, and I knew he cut the gas lines on the car. 

I kept clicking the lighter and no flame came. 

"Hurry!" Kyle shouted. 

"I'm trying!" 

Flashing lights illuminated us. 

"Come on, Rowan!" 

Three more clicks. 

My hands were shaking so bad. I heard the police officers shouting. I wasn't sure if it was at us or if they were barking orders to each other but they were within ten feet. It was too close. 

It was too close. 

"Ro--" 

A flame appeared.