17. Home at Last

EXT. PARK - JOHNSON SPACE CENTER - DAY

A man sat by himself on a bench.
It was Mark Watney basking in the warmth of a beautiful day.

DAY 1

INT. NASA - TEACHING THEATER - DAY

The young, fresh-faced recruits in NASA's Astronaut Candidate Program were abuzz as Mark and Teagan entered the room. The students nudged each other.

By the time Mark reached the lectern at the front, he had the full attention of the class. Teagan sat in a chair near the lectern. She didn't plan on speaking, but Mark had persuaded her to come. She ran a hand along her stomach with her left hand, which bore a gold band, and gave an encouraging smile.

Mark nodded back and began speaking. "Welcome to the Astronaut Candidate
Program. Pay attention. This could save your life. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, and so does my friend." The class laughed. "Okay, let's see if I can get some of your
questions out of the way up front. Yes, Teagan and I did, indeed, survive on a deserted planet by farming in our own shit. It was even more disgusting than it sounds. Let's never speak of it again." There was more laughter. Mark let it subside. "Question Two: "When you two were stranded and alone up there... did you two think you were gonna die?"" There was a pause as Mark thought about it and he and Teagan nodded. "Yes. And it'll happen to you, too. You should know that going in. It's space. It's filled with chance, circumstance, and bad luck. It doesn't cooperate. At some point, I promise, at some point every single thing is gonna go south on you, and you'll think: this is it. This is how I end. And you can either accept that... or you can get to work." He let those words land. "That's all it is. You simply begin. Solve one problem. Then the next one, then the next. You solve enough problems... and you get to come home." Mark opened his notebook. "All right. Questions?"

Every hand in the class shot into the air.

Teagan's eyes suddenly widened and she rushed out of the room, glancing to Mark who nodded and gave her a thumbs up.

She called her husband. "I need you to pick me up at the NASA teaching theater. My water broke."

"I'm on my way."

EXT. LAUNCHPAD - DAY

A spacecraft was readied for launch.

Annie began speaking. "...as soon as Mission Control finishes their pre-flight checks, we will begin launch procedures..."

INT. NASA - PRESS ROOM - DAY

Annie Montrose stood at her place at the podium and continued. "The Ares 5 team will rendezvous with the Hermes approximately 48 minutes after launch. From there, they've got 414 days of space travel ahead of them, arriving at Mars on March 30th. And I'll let the Director of Mars Missions, Vincent Kapoor, brief you on the particulars."

Vincent stepped to the podium. He was calm and at ease. "Good morning. Their mission is scheduled for 41 Sols. Your briefs detail the research and experiment schedules..."

INT. NASA - MISSION CONTROL

The room was abuzz with activity as they prepared for launch.

Mindy Park took her place at her station. She'd moved up in the world and now bore a new title.

"Flight, CAPCOM. Ready to begin preflight check," Mindy said.

Brendan Hatch took his place as the new Flight Director. "Go ahead, CAPCOM."

Up above, in the viewing room, Teddy Sanders watched the activity from his solitary seat. He had his green folder at the ready beside him.

EXT. JPL - MORNING

A deer trotted through JPL grounds. It was still early yet at the Jet Propulsion Labs in Pasadena, but Bruce Ng was awake. He still looked as exhausted and rumpled as ever. But he was in a good mood. He ate breakfast with his team outside as they watched the news reports detailing the "ARES 5 LAUNCH."

Bruce and his team laughed and made jokes with each other. One of them tossed food to the deer.

INT. SUBURBAN HOUSE - DAY

"People all over the world, join in..."

Five blonde chidren raced through the house, wearing NASA t-shirts and jumpsuits.

Alex Vogel grabbed his youngest daughters as they raced past. He scooped them up in his arms. They laughed and laughed.

INT. SPACECRAFT - DAY

The Ares 5 astronauts secured themselves into their acceleration chairs. Wen Jiang would be first Chinese national to go to Mars.

CAPCOM said over comms, "Guidance."

"Go," Wen replied.

INT. NASA - MISSION CONTROL

Zhu Tao and Guo Ming stood at the back of the room, listening with pride as Wen ran through his check. It was a historic moment for their country.

EXT. PARK - MORNING

Mitch Henderson watched his grandson run around the park.

INT. HOSPITAL - DAY

"Let this train keep on riding, riding on through..."

Chris Beck accepted a bouquet of flowers from a nurse. He set them down next to the others as he checked on his wife, Teagan, who was holding their newborn baby girl in her arms.

Beck climbed into the hospital bed next to them.

Johanssen entered with another bouquet of flowers and smiled at the new family.

INT. SPACECRAFT - DAY

The Timer Controller initiated the countdown over comms. "10... 9... 8..."

Rick Martinez grinned as he felt a
surge of adrenaline.

INT. HOUSE - DAY

Vintage albums and posters lined the walls. There was Donna Summer's Last Dance on 7"... C'est Chic... A framed top that looked like something Gloria Gaynor wore.

Time Controller continued counting down over comms. "7... 6..."

Mixed in among the glittery paraphernalia was the NASA Distinguished Service Medal... The Congressional Medal of Honor.

Melissa Lewis was glued to the television. She didn't look up as her husband brought her a cup of tea.
She was with the crew in that moment. Her husband didn't take offense. He gave her a loving pat and left.

"5... 4..."

INT. NASA - MISSION CONTROL

"People all over the world, 'round the world y'all, join hands..."

The team stared back in eager anticipation.

"3... 2... 1... Launch."

The crowd erupted into cheers. They reached for one another.

EXT. SPACE

Earth. Blue and beautiful. Home.

[Y'all really thought I wasn't gonna show the wedding? Pssh. It's called an epilogue. Enjoy it!]