Chapter Five

Karux woke, gazing up once more at the inside of his father’s roof.  This is getting old, he thought.  The fit could fall upon him at any moment.  Later he would awaken to the view of his father’s ceiling wondering how many hours or days he had lost.

His father came in and hung a bag on a peg by the door and left his staff next to it.  “How are you feeling?” he asked.

Karux had been asked that a lot lately.  “Well enough.”  His usual reply.

“You really made an impression on the elders today.”

Well at least it’s the same day, Karux thought.

“You’ve got a few of them worried that there might be something to what you say.  Thoma and Rennon, however, feel that the only real threat is your visions.  One or two others feel the same way.”

“Is there any chance they will talk to any of the other tribes’ elders and tell them about my visions?”

“No.  I didn’t really think they would.  I’m afraid that the only real outcome of all this is that Ghett will probably forbid any further trips to the sacred mountain.”

“Why am I not surprised?”

Arrain tousled his hair.  “I know you are now at the age where you can tell the difference between the real and the ideal and how often the one fails to live up to the other, but try not to become cynical.  Life is as full of good surprises as well as bad–perhaps even more good than we know.”

“Very well, Adra.  I’ll try.”

Arrain rose smiling.  “Well I’ve fed the goats and I have a few other chores before the afternoon milking.  Your aunt Sairu said she would send over some food.”

“Please thank her for me.”

“I shall, and Naipho says that if you feel up to it you should try walking about some this afternoon.”  Arrain rose, picked up a stack of buckets and headed for the door.  “Come take your supper outside tonight.”

“I shall.”

Karux lay dozing on his pallet, largely untroubled by visions except for the occasional glimpse of Eiraena drawing lines in the dirt.  She would sweep the lines away and draw new ones and every time she did, a small pile of pebbles would rise up and dance about in complicated patterns while she laughed.

He awoke to the sound of the door opening.  Charissa entered carrying a basket and a drinking gourd.  “How are you feeling?” she asked.

“Very well, right now.” He sat up smiling.

“Your aunt asked me to come by.”  She handed him the gourd and set the basket down and opened it.

Karux sipped the still-warm chaia, its spicy aroma tickling his nose, and watched Charissa bring out the bread, cheese, roasted goat meat and some barely ripe berries.  “Is she the only reason you came by?” Karux asked with a playful pout.

Charissa looked up, reddening with a self-conscious smile.  “Well, maybe I wanted to anyway.”  She popped a berry into his mouth.  It was a tantalizing mixture of sweetness and tartness.  It was tart enough that he first thought he wouldn’t want any more, but the sweetness brought him back.  He opened his mouth and she put another one in with a chuckle.  He ate it and opened his mouth again, snapping on her fingers as she offered another.  She yanked her hand back with a squeal and fell against him laughing.  Resting her head on his shoulder, her laughter fading, she asked in a soft voice, “Do you really believe those visions you talk about?”

This was not how he’d hoped the conversation would go.  He had long dreamed of the chance to be alone with her, to tell her how he felt and now here she sat, the perfume of her scent filling his head.  He wanted to forget the horrors haunting his nights.  He wanted her to think about him and the two of them together.  “Yes.” he said, feeling the joy leak from his heart.  “I know they’re real.”