Chapter 6 Sonia

Sonia was sobbing in her bed trying to sleep. It was a beautiful full moon night. She loved it but she had to sneak out of the group of the chatting girls on the street, telling them she had to go to the toilet. She was not actually going to the toilet.

She saw Eddy in the group of boys playing basketball. Eddy lived in the neighbourhood too that was why he was also there in that full moon neighbourhood bonding. She liked Eddy. He was tall, handsome and a brown but flawless complexion. He was the opposite of her chatty self when she was with her friends, indeed a young man with few words.

That afternoon before that full moon bonding, she was very happy thinking of how fun she would be having with the girls in her age. The whole week was already a boring day for her taking care of her younger siblings and doing what her mother told her to do. Housework was not fun. How she wished she was able to go to college but her parents could not afford to send her to school anymore and so she was stocked in the house helping her mother. She hoped that one day she would marry a rich man so she would be having a maid to do the household for her.

Thinking of how happy she was that afternoon washing the dirty clothes again, feeding the pigs and chickens they had before she cooked their supper and the corn cobs for the neighbourhood bonding, Sonia felt depressed again.

"Will I be like this in the future? Is it the life I will be having in a few years? Will I be like my mother bearing kids all my young life and take care of a husband like my father?"

Those were what came in Sonias mind while she kept on sobbing quietly on her nipa floor mat bed. She did not like that her parents would hear her crying as it would start her mother in nagging again. She knew her mother was kind but sometimes it was just too much to bear her complaining about everything. Her mother was the boss in their family as her father just kept on agreeing what his wife wanted. Maybe just to keep the peace in their house. Sonia was like that, too. She agreed many things what her mother wanted but deep in her heart she disagreed. She just wanted peace and not the long hours of scolding her about anything.

Sonia really wanted to go to college but because of financial reason she stayed at home. Her parents said, maybe for a year or two until they have saved money from selling pigs and the chickens that they had near their house. She just had to be patience. For her, life itself stopped when she stopped schooling. It was okay when they washed their clothes at the waterfalls as she found that life existed there in the midst of the nature by just observing the happy kids jumping and diving to the water from above the waterfalls. There was life too every time the neighbourhood met on the street during full moon. Like last night!

Yes, last night was something special for her. She noticed that Eddy kept on glancing at her whenever he thought there was nobody noticing it. Sonia knew it because it was the same with her. Whenever the girls talked about very exciting girly things, loud and laughing a lot, Sonias eyes stole a glance to Eddy who at the same time sneaked a look at her. When their eyes met, they both felt shy and awkward. There was something magical at those stolen glances. She felt warm at heart and she felt intrigue at the way he looked at her. She had the feelings that those basketball shots he made inside the basketball net was dedicated to her because every time he did that, he glanced at her.

Sonia smiled at the thought of that. Her eyes dried out. She was no longer thinking of the negative things her mother scolded her when they were on their way home from that full moon bonding. Instead, she was thinking now at what happened when she sneaked away from the chatting girls. When she saw Eddy sitting on the sandy ground near the basketball court on the street, both of them were exchanging stolen glances. Eddy stood up and was walking slowly to the woods maybe pretending to relieve himself. It was normal to pee in the woods, hidden and covered by the banana plants which were abundant in their place. She followed Eddy after a few minutes. She told her girlfriends that she would be back as she had to go to the toilet behind the house of Marys parents. She went alone. She was able to say to the others that she could manage to go alone because the full moon was so bright. Nobody needed to go with her. Why did girls go to the toilet in pairs? She didn't like that. She was glad one of the girls was telling an exciting story that one of them did not like to miss. Thinking about that made Sonia giggle. She had tricked the girls.

When Sonia reached the toilet, she was vigilant and followed Eddy. She was hoping though that there was no snake on the way to him. Eddy met her on the way and they were hiding behind the thick group of banana plants. At first, they just stood there speechless. They did not know what to say. Through the light of the full moon, Sonia could see how handsome Eddy was. He had a short black hair and long eye lashes. His arms were crossed before his chest and smiling towards her. He was just a few inches taller than herself.

"Why did you keep on glancing at me?" Sonia broke the silence between them.

"I did not know. I just can't keep my eyes out of you. Why? Surely it is not prohibited, is it?" replied Eddy grinning at her.

" Of course not but I don't feel comfortable with that."

" Then why did you follow me?" Eddy felt irritated.

" I don't know. I wonder about that, too." Sonia felt ashamed of herself. Yes, why did she followed him. She was a bit confused now.

"Sonia! Where are you? We are going home. It's getting late. Sonia..." Sonia and Eddy were shocked. They forgot about the neighbours on the street. It was the voice of Sonias mother calling her.

" I have to go." Sonia was about to go when Eddy hold her hands. She was electrified. Heat was coming all over her body from the hands that hold her. She felt that her face blushed.

" Can we see each other again?" Eddy pleading her while still holding her hands. His eyes was looking through her. Captivating her soul. "Please!??"

"We' ll see. I have to go now." Sonia went away from Eddy but she could still felt the warm in her hands.

Reminiscing what happened this full moon night, Sonia felt asleep. She was sleeping tightly and without noticing it, she was smiling in her sleep.

************************

Thank you very much Wattpaders and to those outsiders who are reading my ongoing story. I hope you like this chapter. Please don't forget to comment or to click on the star below or above this chapter. Happy new week ahead! See you in the next chapter.