C H A P T E R 8

PARTY

PARTY

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐘 was happening in a Kook house, near mine, which had me wondering why were the Pogues invited. If their war was so much of a deal, the Pogues wouldn't even be allowed here.

The mansion we were in was huge, much bigger than mine, with huge paintings on the walls I was sure costed more money than a house on the Cut. The girl throwing the party, Everly Ballmer, was celebrating her 18th birthday.

I searched for my friends through the crowd of dancing people and adjusted my yellow dress so it would reveal my body a little less. I spotted them in a corner of the huge living-room and walked to their direction, waving at them.

"Hi guys!" I greeted over the loud sound of music.

"Hey! you came!" Kie hugged me enthusiastically and I smiled.

Pope was standing next to her, drinking what I assumed to be gin, since it was a transparent liquid. "Drinking gin Pope?" I asked him, smiling but he avoided the question.

"What are you crazy? this shit is water," Kiara said and we all laughed.

John B handed me a drink and I thanked him, before my eyes laid on JJ. He was smoking a blunt, looking at all of us, a little unbothered.

"I love your dress, it looks very good on you," Kiara told me, winking at me.

"Oh thank you"

"Oh thank you," JJ imitated me with a high pitched voice. "Can you be less pathetic?"

"Me? pathetic? can you spell it or are you really illiterate?" I snapped.

The others laughed and JJ clenched his jaw, annoyed. He looked away not to admit my words had an impact on him, probably. I drank a little sip of my drink and the alcohol burned my throat. "John B what did you give me?" I blurted out, coughing.

"It's a mix of vodka and beer," he laughed.

"Ew, that's-"

"-too much for you? aw that's so cute I thought you were making fun of Pope for drinking water but maybe you need a juice," JJ snickered and I laughed. How was he so touchy?

"It's not too much! It was just surprising, that's all. Plus I wasn't making fun of Pope at all"

"Hey guys it's fine chill," Pope tempered.

"Well, go ahead, if it's not too much, drink the whole thing princess," JJ instructed.

"Bet," I took my drink to my lips and drank it very fast. Maybe they didn't expect me to drink all of it at one, but I did.

"Hey, slow down Sam, it's a lot," Pope spoke.

The liquid poured down my throat, burning, tasting horribly sour, but I liked the feeling. Maybe it was what my mother liked about alcohol, pain. I opened my eyes and put the glass on the counter next to me. "Well princess, that was a lot to take," JJ snickered.