Chapter 5

She was sat with her legs crossed on the cold metal flooring of the TARDIS, staring at her reflection in the glass of water. She had gotten older, Rose noticed. Small wrinkles were making their appearance on her forehead, and her cheekbones were presenting themselves a tad stronger. But nothing compared to those eyes. Her eyes seemed dull, dry, red.

Rose Tyler had been through an unimaginable series of events, someone might think of them as lies. And she had grown strong. Stronger than she'd ever been before. And yet...for some reason, the sight of that place only made her feel weak and vulnerable.

She wanted to hide, to crawl inside a hole and never come out. And for a short moment, just a short one, she felt like dying.

The Time Lord leaned against the console, taking a breath in between his teeth, whilst the Doctor sat on the jump seat. They could not see Rose, but only her back and hair falling over her tense shoulders.

„I've been here before." she began. „Not long ago, actually. But I took care of them, I don't understand. That building should not even exist."

„When?" the Time Lord asked.

„Hm?"

„When were you here?"

„Doesn't matter. I took care of them. I know for sure. I just...I dunno'. Didn't think that part of the building would survive." she sighed. „Problem closed, Doctor. You can go back home."

The Time Lord ran a hand over his face, furrowing his brows. „Who were they?" he asked.

„I said it don't matter!" Rose stood, spilling the water on accident. „Fuck. Don't you get it? I killed them. I killed them all! I just-" there was a shake in her voice. „Listen, they were called the Istuli, okay? And they were aliens, these weird fish-looking creatures. I went down there with Valorant."

„But that was a week ago." the Doctor slowly approached her, putting a hand on her shoulder. „Rose, you never told me what happened down there."

„What do you mean? What happened?" the Time Lord cut in.

„It doesn't matter." Rose spoke through her teeth. „Listen, can we just go?"

„If that's what you choose." the Time Lord then turned to his other-self. „Take her out of here, I will go on my own."

„What? No! You can't!" she protested. „Listen, the only thing you will find out there is ruins. Cause I blew them up."

„The current..." the Doctor realised. „That was you. The source of the current."

Rose nodded. „That was my way out." she then looked over to the Time Lord. „I'm sorry. There's nothing out there anymore."

„Rose, I have a time machine. I'll just pop in one week ago, see what they were up to, and then come back. I told you, they traversed from one dimension to another. What's to say there weren't any of them left behind in my world? Just need to see."

Rose sighed, pressing her palm against her forehead. „I was there. You'll create a paradox. Remember? Learned that the hard way, from you."

„Then I'll stay out of your way."

„Hold on, why not just go two weeks ago? Yeah, that way you'll avoid me and get your answers." she smiled awkwardly.

„I shouldn't. There's only so much boom inside your boom and I don't think she could make it." the Time Lord looked at the console. „The boom could just...boom."

This was going nowhere, Rose realised. He was just as stubborn as she had remembered and there was no changing his mind. „Fine." she said, biting the inner of her cheek in contemplation. „I'll come with you."