Chapter Eight: Part One

Picture is of Lilith.

___________________________________

Surprises

"And in the dark I can hear your heartbeat. I tried to find the sound, but then it stopped. And I was in the darkness, so the darkness I became."

                                -Florence and the Machine

"Ouch! I think you drew blood that time," I complained, shying away from Lilith and her pin cushion of pain. The mocha skinned designer sighed loudly, rolling her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose.

"If you would just stand still, maybe I wouldn't stick you by accident," she retorted in a thick, French accent. Dropping her hand from her face, she waltzed over to a small table and placed the needle ridden object down.  

"Well excuse me for not wanting to be fitted for a wedding dress!" I snapped, feeling the familiar tides of exasperation wash over me. "We've been at it for hours now, so can we please just call it quits for today?"

Lilith did an about face, placed her hands on her hips, and began to make her way towards me quickly, the clicking of her heels echoing throughout the room. "You complain too much. Daemon is a very handsome young man, one who clearly has money, and he wants nothing more than to tie himself to you. Yet, there you stand, in a stunning creation of lace and silk, whining about having to stand still so that I can alter your gown. I don't get you," she sighed, shaking her head as she moved behind me to undo the buttons down my back.

"No, you don't get me. Nobody here gets me. Does it mean nothing to you people that I have been kidnapped?" I spat, losing my patience and tugging harshly at the delicate material hugging my body. 

"Rosaline, no! Stop that!" Lilith shrieked, but it was too late; I was already shimmying out of the garment, and the second it hit the ground I was stalking across the room. I snatched up my fluffy robe, slid it on, and pushed open the heavy doors to reveal the hallway. 

Jonah instantly stepped out before me, his merry team of block heads forming a horizontal line behind him. "Is that supposed discourage me from running?" I asked coolly, eyes trained on the four men who looked like they were bracing for an attack, preparing themselves for anything that I may try.

Jonah chose to ignore my comment, instead straightening his stance and stating in a formal tone, "I take it you're ready to head back to your room." 

"My cage," I corrected. "But, yes, at this moment I can honestly say that I am almost happy to be going back." I was trembling with barely contained emotions, mentally exahusted beyond comprehension, and I just wanted a few, quiet moments to myself to try and think of ways out of here.

"Alright. You know how this goes," he said, gesturing for the rest of the men to get into position. Two were at my front, Jonah being one of them, and three were at my back. It was annoying, but at least they kept a comfortable distance from me. They had learned the hard way that riding my ass resulted in walking away with any injuries that I could manage to inflict - bruises, scratches, bites, and my specialty, headaches. According to Jonah, Daemon wasn't impressed when he got word of my behavior, but then, I didn't give a damn what he thought.

I still hadn't seen him since our engagement gala a few days ago, but I was okay with that, using the time alone to allow my hate for that bastard to fester and grow. Ivy had stopped by a few times a day to bring me food and offer me assistance with anything, the last of which I'd tell her was unnessessary. Other than that, I was doomed to remain within the confines of my room. 

This morning, while I was sleeping soundly, Lilith had sent orders for Ivy to wake and dress me. I was especially irked because it was before dawn, and when I questioned Ivy as to how Lilith had the authority to make orders at all, she told me that Daemon had approved her resquest to see me. What's more, he told her to take any time she needed with me, knowing that it had to do with my wedding dress preparations.

I had demanded to see him, talk to him, but Jonah told me that he was unavailable at the moment, to which he later elaborated meant that he was away on buisness. I was not privy to the information concerning when he would be back, or where he was. I did, however, know that when he came back, he would be walking into a shit storm.

"Here we are. Would you like us to send for Ivy?" Jonah asked gruffly when we reached my room. I could tell that he was trying very hard to like me, but it wasn't going so well.

"No, thank you though. I think I'll take a nap," I answered, opening the doors and walking in. I didn't even have to bother closing them behind me, as Jonah’s men were quick to make sure to shut and lock them. They probably knew I’d eventually try and escape, so I could understand why they were so cautious even if the measures they took were a bit excessive.

I strode over to the canopy bed with purpose, elated to finally be able to rest my aching body. I didn’t even bother undressing beyond kicking off my shoes before I plopped down on the smooth sheets. A few pillows scattered on impact, but other than that the majority of the bedding stayed perfectly intact.  

Closing my eyes and breathing deeply, I began to feel myself to slowly unwind. But, for whatever reason, I couldn’t manage to clear my mind. Thoughts of my perilous predicament ran rampant through my head, bringing on a swift, throbbing headache.

I started to rub my temples vigorously, in hopes of easing the pain, but it only got worse. Soon I was writhing in unbearable agony, screaming and pulling on fistfuls of my hair as tears spilled from my eyes. It felt as if I was being burned alive and stabbed all at once - my flesh being crisped, melted, and cut in to as the heat only continued to amplify, growing stronger just beneath my skin. Yet, by far the most painful part of my body was my head.

It was about the time that I began to convulse, when I concluded that no one was coming to help me. Fear slithered its way into my mind, plaguing me with thoughts of dying, as a kind of paralysis over took my limbs. I started to give in to the pain, to allow it to take me, if only to end this prolonged torture.

I don’t know how long I laid there waiting to die as I writhed in twisted agony, but every second was hell.

At some point, a cool breeze feathered over my hypersensitive skin, bringing with it a sweet euphoric relief. A sense of hope pushed its way to the forefront of my mind, as I slowly succumbed to the gentle tugs of unconsciousness.

“You are so beautiful,” a familiar woman’s voice cooed. “Isn’t she just lovely, Leo?” A giggle erupted throughout the darkness of my mind. I couldn’t see, but I could hear, and I knew without a doubt that this woman’s voice was one I had heard before. This was Rhea.

“Indeed. In fact, I dare say that she is the loveliest child in the entire world,” Leo said, rough voice evoking a feeling of comfort. “And do you know why? Because you, sweet Rosaline, are your mother’s daughter, and therefore inherit all of the beautiful things the world has to offer.”

Did he just say my name? Why, what did that mean? Was it possible that he and Rhea were my parents?

“You’re doing it again,” Rhea warned in a teasing manner.

“What, I can’t compliment my beautiful wife and child?” Leo remarked with a deep chuckle and sarcastic note to his tone.

“Well-“ Rhea began, only to be cut short by a whiny voice.

“It’s my turn to hold her now!” A young child declared, sounding extremely snooty. When only silence greeted him, he continued, sounding quite vexed. “She’s mine. Father says she’s mine, so give her back!”

“O-okay. No need to get upset. Why don’t we go take her to her room so that you can put her down for a nap?” Rhea asked, voice coated with fear and trembling slightly.

“Fine. But you can only stay for five minutes,” he replied bitterly.

And then everything went quiet.