Chapter 3

"You didn't have to walk me here, Garrett."

His hands are stuffed into his jeans with his arms locked at the elbow. Just looking at him makes me anxious.

He's been uncomfortable ever since I asked him what kind of underwear he prefers girl in as a point of reference. It was a completely honest question. I didn't mean to rile him up. I just had so many options to choose from since I sort of went beserk at Victoria's Secret, charging it all to my credit card without looking at the total price. He told me black is always hot, but wondered why I only had bra's in my hand.

I blushed so hard, I'm sure I was a puffed out, like a swollen tomato when he put the pieces together that I didn't need any underwear. We didn't speak for a solid twenty minutes after that until he saw me walking out the front door.

We've stopped at the cafe door by the time he huffs out a response to me.

"Yeah, I did. Look at you, and you're going to go meet a guy you don't know to fuck. It has Law and Order written all over it."

I nudge him with my elbow, getting some sick pleasure that he's so uneasy. It also helps me deal with my embarrassment. "I don't know what's going to happen, okay? Maybe I'll chicken out, who knows."

"Wearing that dress doesn't look like you're considering chickening out."

I giggle, covering my mouth, looking at him like he's a puppy, tempting to pet him. "What are you, my father? You want to meet him, too? Make sure he isn't a thug, and has me home by a decent hour?"

"Can I meet him?" he asks, awkwardly perking up.

"Hell no, Garrett. You've lost your mind."

"No, obviously you have. Just be safe, okay?"

I tap my pointed, black stiletto impatiently when I hear his patronizing tone. "Ya know, you're the one who told me I didn't look like the type, and here I am, giving it my all, and now you want to play over protective best friend?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, I do. I never said you were unattractive. We've moved past this. It's just," he sighs, removing his hand from his pocket to brush it through his hair, almost guilty, not able to look me in the eye as he says, "You didn't hold back with that dress, that's all. It doesn't leave much to the imagination, and I'd hate for some dude to take advantage of you."

My eyes drop to my dress, the hem hitting the middle of my thigh, the thin navy silk hugging tight against my body. I straighten out the halter neck, getting self conscious instead of focusing on the fact Garrett is caring too much, for once.

"You think this dress is too much?"

He groans, placing his hands on my bare upper arms, holding me at arms length, as he says, "No. That's the thing. It's almost too perfect for your night. I should've known that when you set your mind to something you always seem to do it right."

I think that was supposed to be a joke, or maybe a compliment. I thank the heavens we both erupt into laughter.

"It's almost adorable how concerned you are for me."

"I've just heard stories about Fahrenheit ... nothing bad, necessarily, just that it's a little out of your league."

I huff. "Okay, well, I almost thought you were being the nice guy."

He laughs again, which continues to help the mood. "I'm just saying, it's one thing for me or one of the guys to get themselves into this club, but you're kinda innocent, ya know? Naive, even. Actually, you're so naive you actually agreed to this."