Prologue

It would be an instant death. A flash of excruciation, then nothing.

***

Faint breathing sounds were the only indication of human presence in the vast hall. Even with squinting they could barely see anything, not even their own thighs in their knelt position. Somewhere in the pitch darkness came a nervous, stifled cough, possibly from Number 6. Things had not been going well for him, and dread filled him gradually as time passed.

A sudden glare blinded them. After adjusting to the stark light, they saw for the first time who were next to them. Number 6 shaded his eyes with a hand as his eyes tried to follow the movement of the shadowy figure that loomed before them behind the translucent screen. The room fell silent.

"I will allow no more tolerance," screeched the gang leader, his voice like a banshee. "You have exceeded my limits, Number 6. Yes, you, Number 6. I am looking at you with my eyes." Although he could only see his shadow, Number 6 felt a sense of coldness creeping up on him and his body shook more violently than before.

"Boss, s-sorry I did not meet your expectations, I honestly put in all my efforts... it's just that I didn't notice there was a secret door, it - it was only a minor mistake, p-please-"

"Enough!" thundered the gang leader. "How many times have you told me that? We lost thousands of millions of dollars just because you failed to secure that ruby. I suppose it fell into the hands of the Mobys." A stir was aroused among the henchmen, who cursed under their breath at the thought of their rivals getting their hands on the priceless jewel.

"You think you can get away with it? Then you're wrong." His voice continued to cut through the air. Slowly but steadily, he stretched his arm out from the screen, cocking a pistol.

Number 6's legs gave way under him as he scrambled back, wheezing and gasping. "No-" But before he could finish, a loud boom zoomed across the room and he gave a scream, being catapulted backwards in a pool of fresh blood.

The leader pocketed his gun emotionlessly. "Another idiot removed."

The henchmen shifted uneasily, even though brutal deaths like this were not rare.

"You all know what I expect, or else you will be the next one. Now get back to work!"

"Yes, boss."

--------------------

A/N

Was recommended by a friend to start a Wattpad account, and here I am. I've always liked writing stories and decided to share something I'm currently writing. I'm open to constructive criticism and of course if you find anything really good please comment too :D