Learning to trust

Merle had been less than thrilled when he walked back from the woods and saw his baby sister with the new kid. He'd wanted to go over and get her or even call her back to their space but Daryl had told him to leave her be, explaining that he'd told her to go help with dinner and Dean had tagged along. He was leaving out the whole middle part where he was pretty damn sure June was interested in the guy, but that was just a can of worms he didn't want to open.

June had glanced over at her brothers a few times during meal prep and thought Merle looked like a caged animal with the way he was pacing. She couldn't hear what he was saying but was sure Daryl was getting an ear full about her being so close to Dean. Still, she was impressed that they stayed by the tents... at least until Carol announced dinner. She'd barely gotten out "Din" when the Dixon men were already halfway over.

It was a normal, every day occurrence for her oldest brother to say something snarky or even down right mean, but June hoped that just this once he'd let shit go and shot him a pleading look as she handed him a plate. Always his weakness, those baby blues of hers, so he forced himself to zip his lips. But just because he wasn't gonna say shit, didn't mean he was going to sit around and socialize with these people. She considered this progress for Merle so when he motioned for her to follow she did, not wanting to push her luck.

"Goodnight" she whispered, her eyes going to the ground instead of where they actually wanted to look... at Dean.

"Oh come on June, stay." Lori pouted, ignoring the glares the Dixon men were shooting her. "You helped make it, you should stay and eat with us."

"Um..." she looked over her shoulder but the moment she saw Daryl shake his head she knew her brothers were at the end of their patience and that she was expected to follow orders. "Maybe next time."

"You sure June? There's plenty of space next to me and Sammy."

Lord how she wanted to stay, not so much for the others but for Dean. He'd made her laugh today, albeit a quiet one, but a laugh none the less. He'd told her stories she wasn't entirely sure were real just to get her to smile and it was more fun than she'd had in a very long time. She was a Dixon though so when Merle hollered she backed down.

"JUNE! RIGHT THE HELL NOW!"

"Goodnight."

The group watched as she walked away not missing the way Daryl put his arm around her shoulder. Dean knew the move, it was one he'd done on his own brother and it told him that Daryl didn't trust any of these people enough to leave his sister in their care. He'd recognized the signs of abuse right away, the way she often kept her head down or the subtle way she flinched when someone moved too quickly around her... Dean didn't blame her brothers for being overprotective, although he wished Merle wouldn't be such a dick about it.

"They always eat together?" Sam asked, breaking into his thoughts.

"Yeah." Lori sighed, "Her brothers are a bit... protective."

"That's putting it mildly" Andrea scoffed "I was shocked Daryl let her go with you earlier"

She was pointing her fork at Dean and he did his best to hide his smile, the thought that her brother trusted, well maybe not trusted, but hadn't beaten him to death made his day. If the Dixon brothers were as scary as these people were making them out to be, he was sure he would simply shoot him if he thought he was out to hurt June.

"Guess I just have a face you can trust."

"Nah, that ain't it." T-Dog teased, getting a small laugh out of the group.

"What's their deal?" Sam hadn't meant to ask it out loud but when Dean elbowed him, he realized his mistake looking up and seeing all eyes on him. "I uh... I just mean... isn't June an adult?"