Chapter Fifteen

"I want to do something different." Kai said as he looked up from his phone.

"Huh?" Roan replied, "We can play Age of Empires instead of FIFA."

"Nah, not video games," Kai sat up straight on the bed as he furrowed his brows like he was in deep thought, "Let's go out somewhere."

"Out? To the mall?" Roan asked.

"No, come on, think out of the box," Kai licked his lower lip, "What's something we haven't done before?"

"Skydiving?"

"Shut up," Kai rolled his eyes, "Something that we can possibly do today."

"Go on a date?" Roan asked.

"You're funny," Kai chuckled, "How about we drive to the beach?"

"Today?" Roan frowned.

"Yeah, we can leave in an hour and reach before sunset. And then we can come back tomorrow around the same time. It's the weekend!" Kai said excitedly.

"Moms won't be cool with such an impromptu plan and you know it. They'll need our entire itinerary and atleast a three day notice. Maybe we can go next weekend?" Roan offered.

"But I wanna go today," Kai frowned, "They don't have to know. Just tell them we're staying at my place. Or Khaled's. They might call my parents but they don't have his parents' number."

"You know that I don't like lying to them.."

"Come on, a little white lie never hurt anyone." Kai said.

"Kai.."

"We're eighteen and we're going to be moving away and living in a new city in a few months anyway. What's a quick trip to the beach? It's only a couple hours drive," Kai replied, "Where's your spontaneity, Ro?"

"I can just tell them. Lucia probably won't mind but Bets might have a problem." Roan said.

"If they say no then we won't be able to use the Khaled lie, they'll know what we're upto!" Kai reasoned.

"Why are you so insistent on going? Why not just wait a week?" Roan asked.

"I have a calculus pop quiz next Monday. And a couple of pending assignments," Kai shrugged, "I'll do your economics homework if you agree to the plan."

"I like economics," Roan muttered, "Fine."

"Wait— really?'

"But you're paying for the gas." Roan sighed.

"I'll pay for the hotel too," Kai grinned, "There was some festival in India and Nana just sent a cheque to her favourite grandson."

"You're her only grandchild.."

"And her favourite!"

~~~

Around three hours later, Kai and Roan checked into the hotel that Kai had called an hour prior to make sure they had a room, which thankfully they did. Roan had been uneasy about their little trip, especially since he didn't like lying to his moms, but looking at Kai's face once the two boys changed into swimming shorts and headed towards the beach made it all worth it.

Ever since Kai told Roan about his parents fighting, the brunette had been over at his place most nights. Sometimes he'd only come over right before bedtime, just to sleep. Those were the nights when his mom came back from work late. Kai loved spending time with his dad, he'd always been much closer to him since the older man worked from home. But as soon as his mom would come home, the arguments would start.