Birthdays and Breakups

~~~

"I think Nate and I broke up," Ara immediately said, foregoing a hello.  She had been attempting to do homework, not really knowing what to do, but needing to feel at least like she was being productive after the strange date.  She had given up though, she couldn't concentrate on it and she felt the  urge to relay her night.

 "Huh?" Summer held her phone in front of her to make sure that she really had heard that. 

 "It was so..." Ara trailed off, lounging on her bed.

 "Anticlimactic?" Summer offered as she heard her pause.

 "Yeah.  He asked me if I knew his favorite color-" Ara began, fidgeting slightly with her toes.

 "Do you?"

 "Erm, no." She answered with a wince, both her eyes closing slightly in shame, mostly embarrassment. "And then he said he didn't know mine either and next thing I know we paid the check, dutch style and he dropped me off with a smile saying he'd miss having so much laughs," She finished sheepishly as she turned over onto her back. "Don't know how I feel but I think I'm okay, if you know what I mean."

 "Do you want me to come over anyway with a bucket of ice cream and two slices of banana cheesecake?"

 "Sure, when I tell Mum about Nate and I, she's bound to be sympathetic and turn a blind eye." Ara shrugged though a grin tugged at her lips.

 "Okay," Summer laughed. "I'll be over after a stop at seven eleven.  You want an icee too or would that be overkill?"

 "Never an overkill, hit em at me.  Not going to have this many chances for Mum to just pat my head and say it'll be okay and ignore anything that goes in my mouth." Ara said, grinning widely this time as she thought about cheesecake without her mother's razor like eyes peering at her, judging and dissuading.   

~~~

"This isn't very convenient." Summer said as she looked up at the ceiling, joining Ara in laying on the bed and eating upside down. 

"But it's fun and I'm the one who had the break up today." Ara replied as she took another bite of her cheesecake.

"Yes because you sound so distraught." Summer sighed at her, not sadly but in a manner of disbelief. 

"I am, inside I'm crying enough water to fill a lake." Ara smiled widely as she took another bite, only to almost choke on her cheesecake. 

Summer tsked.  "Told you so," she said about eating cheesecake upside down. 

Sitting up, Ara tried to cough a few more times to get it out of her system.  After doing so she stuck out her tongue at her friend.  At Summer laughing, she took another happy bite. 

"Niall," Summer said just as she did so, thus causing Ara to go into another coughing fit.  Ara laring at her with watered eyes.  "Works every time." Summer said laughing.  "Though I wonder what he will think about this?" She asked with a sly smile.

"Hah, He." Ara finally said, breathing normally again.  "He doesn't care." She finished before stealing a bite of her cheesecake in retaliation or the coughing fits, even if it was only the second one that was induced by her. 

"I don't know, maybe a few months ago but now..." Summer just shrugged at last.  "Well the boy's something to you, admit it." 

"He's not a boy and Summer!" Ara blushed furiously, not answering the question.  

~~~

OMG @AraAstor I am so sorry.  I promise as soon as I am in town, we will make up for it.  Love and kisses.