Chapter 17: Keith

When the jet finally landed in Curacao and we managed to get into the airport, Henry handed me a pair of sunglasses. He said nothing except ‘put it on.’

Alright buddy.

I stuffed them on and let Henry wheel our luggage through the small airport. Once we finally got through the international flights exit, I knew why Henry had wanted me to wear sunglasses.

A large crowd of paparazzi were waiting, and once they saw us, they tried their best to get close. It was annoying. I hadn’t seen them in ages. They were snapping pictures, recording videos and shouting questions such as ‘Henry please comment on the issue of your father being in jail!’ and ‘Lainie, is it true you are only with Henry for his money?!’

Even though I couldn’t see his expression, I sensed Henry had wanted to punch the person who had asked that. We escaped the paparazzi as we headed downstairs via the elevator. Once we reached the elevator, the three of us were relieved.

“Do you think I could stop by the ladies downstairs?” I asked. I had drunk a lot of water on the way here, which maybe wasn’t such a good idea.

Steve seemed to be weighing our options. It was weird looking at him now, knowing he actually loved a woman. I still couldn't get over the fact that he liked Arianne .. or loved. “Alright, but be quick. I’ll wait for you outside.” He then turned to Henry, who had been leaning casually against the wall of the elevator, looking bored. “Henry, you go ahead into the limo waiting for us outside. Oh, and take our luggage too.”

Steve gave him a sheepish grin and Henry shrugged as if it was no big deal. Once we reached the bottom floor of the airport, we headed our separate ways. Steve escorted me to the ladies room in case I got caught up with paparazzi. I really had no idea how to handle them. All I’ve been taught is ‘ignore them.’

But of course, literally he didn’t escort me into the ladies. He just waited around the corner, sitting on a bench. As I walked into the toilets, my eyes widened as I realised there was a man standing by the basin. A man! Oh my god.

He must be a rapist … or a perv. My heart was beating double time now. His eyes met mine through the mirror, which meant I was doomed. He had spotted me and I was going to be dragged and assaulted.

I shakily pointed a finger at him (like a warning) and prepared to scream for Steve but his eyes widened and he rushed forward to cover my mouth with his hand. I screamed against his mouth and struggled out of his firm grip.

Oh my god! He’s going to rape me and kill me and feed my body to the sharks! I managed to get one of my hands out of his grasp and threw a hard punch at his stomach. He grunted and staggered back a bit and that was all I needed - a moment of weakness.

I slammed him against the wall and kneed him 'down there'. He groaned and fell to the floor which gave me a sense of pride. 

“That’s what you get rapist!” I hissed at him. But wow, was he a handsome one. What a waste. I spun around and headed back outside to report the guy who deserved to go to jail, but due to my clumsiness, I bumped into a man.

“Oh sorry,” I apologised.

The man gave me a funny look. “Did you just come out of the men’s?” He asked, bemused.

“No, the ladies,” I answered. What did I look like? A man? To prove my point, I pointed up at the sign above the door …which indicated I was wrong.

I felt my face burn. Great. I had mistaken an innocent guy for a rapist and beat him up. The man chuckled and continued his way down the corridor. I rushed back inside to apologise for my stupidness. He was slowly getting up from the floor, flinching from the pain. He looked up, saw my apologetic expression and figured that I had made a mistake. “Here to throw a punch at my face too?” He asked wryly.