Chapter Six

A/N: Ah, reviews! They gladden the heart! Thanks everyone, for your support and comments! I'm enjoying writing this story but I'll be glad to finish and write something new! SheWhoRidesHorses, you've got a bit of a surprise coming as to Bess' whereabouts, and Rosielaurel, I hope you won't be too disappointed when you find out where our innkeeeper's daughter is going. xoxo, CamelotHealer.

Chapter Six

Stunned, I stared at the empty bed. Where on earth had Bess gone?

Just then, there was a noise from outside. I stepped softly across to the window and opened it. 

Bess was running across the yard, looking like a wraith in her white nightgown. She was met by the stables by a man, who hugged her and then kissed her. Even from this distance I knew it was the man I'd spotted on his horse outside the stables.

So this was why Bess had seemed chary of Major Warrington. She had someone else. But who was he? And why was she meeting with him in secret?

As I stood there, I was reminded of my mother's saying, "You get more bees with honey than with vinegar, Rosie." If I wanted to find out the identity of Bess's sweetheart, I would have to ask her later on. Carefully, I pulled the window shut, making sure not to alert the couple on the ground below to the fact that someone had seen them.

"Rose?" My uncle's voice made me jump and spin around.

"Y-yes, Uncle?" I asked, trying desperately to slow my heart's racing pace.

"What's going on? Why isn't Bess in bed?" 

"She--she went to the lavatory," I said, a flash of inspiration entering my mind. "I was just retrieving something from her room and I happened to hear a noise. I went to the window to see if it was anything, but it was just my imagination."

Uncle Henry sighed and smiled. "Thank the Lord it's only that. I thought you were a burglar, sneaking about! Now go to bed and get some sleep! You've earned it!"

His kindly smile only increased my guilt about lying. But I was determined to find out the truth from Bess, even if I had to drag it out of her!

I woke up early this time and headed out to the barn to do the milking, as Bess was engaged in helping Dominic with the breakfast. Tim was nowhere in sight, and for that I was glad. I sat down on the stool next to the cow, who eyed me warily.

"Easy, girl," I said. I had milked a cow a couple of times before when I had taken a job at the dairy back home, but it had been a while since my last milking.

Thankfully the chore was completed without incident, and I got to my feet, ready to leave the barn, only to have Tim appear out of nowhere, standing in front of me. I yelped in fright.

"I thought Bess did the milking," he said, those unnatural eyes searching mine.

"You scared me!" I snapped, too frightened to be gracious. 

"Did you see anything?" he asked. "Did you?"

"You're crazy," I said. My heart began to beat so loudly I feared even he could hear it. "Let me pass." I tried to move past him, but he stood in my way.

"Answer me!" He stared at me, his eyes gleaming.

"Miss Gilmartin?" The voice made both of us turn. Private Walter Kent, the redcoat I had bumped into yesterday, was standing there, his grey-blue eyes concerned. "Are you alright?" He looked at Tim, who immediately smirked and began rubbing his hands together, humming tunelessly.

"I'm fine," I said, willing my hands to stop shaking. "Was there something you needed?"

"I was sent here to get Major Warrington," Private Kent said.