TEN | NON-STOP

His back hit the wooden wall at the same time her mouth crashed into his.

Everything was hot. Every inch of her skin, his mouth, his hands as they went for the fastenings of her clothes. Her fingertips glided over his jaw, the skin slightly rough under her touch, then tightened in his hair at the base of his neck. Her breath hitched audibly as her dress fell open in the back.

And their audience was screeching like freaking banshees.

Cora had thought that this would be harder to do in front of so many people, but it was actually quite the opposite. Their excitement was nearly making her dizzy, drunken. And hell, she would have given them more—she would have been willing to do worse with Rasmus than what was in the script if it got this kind of response out of people.

She was burning up by this point in the show, sweltering so much from running amok in such a bulky dress under the heat of the stage lights that it was actually relieving to have it removed and feel that layer of thick fabric pulled away from her skin, leaving just the corset beneath. It was like a breath of fresh air. And to have people cheering at her for it...

Well, she felt indestructible. So this was what pure adrenaline felt like, the high of being on the big stage.

This was what it felt like to be on Broadway.

Cora managed to stay shockingly calm for the whole show, but as soon as the curtain fell and they scurried to their places in the wings to line up for their curtain call, her eyes started welling up with tears

Cora managed to stay shockingly calm for the whole show, but as soon as the curtain fell and they scurried to their places in the wings to line up for their curtain call, her eyes started welling up with tears. Holy shit. I did it.

She could see Rasmus across from her in the opposite side of the wings, looking like he was having the same train of thought as she was. Her heart pounded as she watched their other castmates go out for their bows, and then even faster as their stage manager gave her and Rasmus their cue to walk back out onstage together.

The roar of the crowd doubled in volume as they stepped out simultaneously, meeting each other in the middle to then walk downstage hand-in-hand. Through the glare of the lights, she could still see them—more than a thousand people standing and applauding them.

Rasmus' hand was firm in her own, steadying the both of them, which she was grateful for even if it was for his own self-benefit. And when she looked over at him with the silly grin that she couldn't have kept off her face even if she tried, he was already there smiling back.

We're kind of a team now, he'd told her last night.

For the first time, it was finally beginning to feel like it.