30 | The Boy Who Was Forgotten

Flickering candles covered the Tomes' lawn. Each one buried deep in the snow-packed earth. Sadie added hers, thrusting it into the ground like a fiery spear. The Tomes' house was smaller than the Madisons but rose to accommodate two bedrooms over three floors.

Inside, vines and leaves, bark, roots, and flowers from a hundred gardens decorated the house. Sadie and Oliver milled about in the crowded hallway, struggling to find a place to stand and admire the decorations. Michael seemed relieved to be inside, his roving eyes finding Sadie every five seconds.

Alexsy and Helene disappeared into the kitchen in search of the first course, a customary glass of champagne or thimble of brandy.

"Are you okay, dear?" said Larissa, putting her hand on Eli's head.

He looked up at her with his Monster Magnifiers and nodded.

Have you seen Natalia? she signed.

Eli thumbed towards the front door then went back to checking the Tomes' residence for dangerous threats.

Larissa squeezed over to the window and peered into the night. Natalia and Dimitri were stood on the porch holding hands. Natalia smiled uncontrollably as Dimitri filled her ear with sweet words. She seemed to slip into a daydream but returned as Dimitri moved close and kissed her. Larissa blushed and spun away, catching herself in a smile.

Arnold Tomes erupted from the kitchen, followed by a heatwave of delicious aromas.

"Appetizers are served!"

A roar of approval swelled through the house.

Larissa rapped gently on the window, urging Natalia and Dimitri inside.

A huge selection of finger food filled the kitchen counter. Chilli prawns, pigs in blankets, fried cheeses, pork and mango cubes, pastry parcels, miniature egg pies, beetroot wrapped in bacon, and an army of sandwiches: peanut butter; smoked trout, horseradish and rocket; brie with bacon and cranberry sauce; corned beef and sweet pickle; shawarma; mature cheese, cucumber and black pepper; roast beef, mustard, mayonnaise and watercress. They all came on white, brown, and wholegrain bread—regular and toasted.

Sadie began to salivate at the sight of such an epic spread.

"Don't go crazy," Michael said. "This is the starter."

Sadie filled her hands with an assortment of treats, popping them eagerly into her mouth one at a time. Eli edged up beside her, his spectacles still in place. He settled on a miniature egg pie and vanished rapidly into the party.

Hands were diving into the food all around. Oliver looked uncomfortable with this level of proximity. Sadie nodded towards the hallway, and they slipped out. Michael's head spun on his shoulders as Sadie scurried away. "Stay inside," he called, getting swept along by the hungry hands. "Stay close."

But Sadie and Oliver had darted upstairs. There were three doors off the landing. The master bedroom, bathroom, and access to the attic stairs where Danver's room waited. Sadie turned the handle to the latter and entered.

"Should we be up here?" Oliver asked, climbing the narrow staircase.

Sadie flicked the switch on a lamp. "Of course. This is Danver's room. I've been in here loads of times—" But the room wasn't Danver's. At least, not anymore.

A table ran along the back wall covered with journals and paperwork. A large high-back chair sat facing the window and, positioned in front of it, angled at the sky, was an expensive-looking telescope. The sloping walls were covered in charts and maps. Sadie ran a hand over them and felt a tear welling in her eye.