Chapter 29 - Come Clarity

" Sure it would change my perspective
I'm certain I would change today
I'm certain it would change our ways
Would things fall into place?

I want you to lead me
Take me somewhere
Just don't want to live
In a dream one more day. "

'Come Clarity' - In Flames

************************************

Shannon saw that it was indeed his brother calling and gritted his teeth before accepting the call.

"I'm just going outside to take this OK? Won't be long." He quickly told Emily before answering to Jared and pushing the French Doors open to the terrace that led down to the pool.

"WHAT JARED!" Shannon snapped at his younger brother down the phone.

"Shannon...you need to let her go, she's with James." Jared sighed down the phone.

"Actually. She's not. She's left him."

"Left and Split Up are two different things Shan."

"I'm not going to do anything OK! She needed somewhere to crash because she can't get home or afford to stay at a hotel for the next 4 days."

"You know the Echelon don't call you 'Shannoconda' for no reason." Shannon could almost hear his brother smirking as he said this.

"Asshat." Shannon muttered.

"Seriously though Shan. I saw how you were when you and Cara split. You were devastated. I've seen the way you look at Emily. I'm just being your brother Shan, just take it easy, she's confused right now."

Shannon sighed, running a hand through his hair and paced around by the pool continuing to talk with Jared on the phone.

Emily appeared at the top of the terrace between the French Doors and called down to Shannon. She couldn't see him to start with but could hear someone talking on the phone.

"Hang on a second Jay." Shannon covered the mouthpiece of his phone called back to Emily. "Hey! Just down by the pool."

"Of course he also has a pool." She muttered to herself, a slight smirk tugging at the sides of her mouth as she made her way down some stone steps to the pool area carrying Shannon's mug of coffee. "Oh. Hey. Sorry. I brought your coffee for you. I hope you like it." She smiled, holding out the mug to him. He took it from her and inhaled the heady aroma. "Well, it smells amazing." He fiddled with his phone and switched on the video chat. Jared accepted and Emily saw him smile at her and wave. "Hey Jay. You should find your own barista." Shannon gestured towards the camera with the mug of coffee and grinned at Emily.

She moved to stand behind Shannon and rested her chin on his shoulder and giving Jared a smile back. "Hey Jared."

"Hey. I hear you're keeping my brother company for the next few days?"

"Erm...Yeah. I can't afford the amendment fee to change my flight. I know you don't agree with Shannon letting me stay her. I-I honestly just had no where else to go. I don't know anyone else here in LA and staying with James after...well, everything, is kind of awkward. I-I don't expect you to like me Jared, I'm just staying here so I don't have to stay on the streets until I can fly back to Anchorage." Emily defended herself after seeing Jared's face as he looked at her.

He lifted a finger, "Hang on a second." He told them both, then directed his gaze away from the camera. "Yeah sure." They heard him say to someone just off camera. "Well, Emma's just told me that she's managed to get your little mess cleared up to the best that we can."