Chapter 30 - Envious Hira.

The warm water was meant to sooth her mind and calm down her now frantic heartbeat, however, that didn't help. Getting out of the shower she wrapped herself in a clean towel and sat down on the lid of the toilet seat. She had began thinking quietly about all that had occurred after meeting Kael and his mother, Zach, Sonia, Angelina, her mother and sister, Alec and his mother, just everything and everyone.

          Her head was hung low and her arms around her as if in protection from something unseen. Theoretically she couldn't understand where she was now and confusion made her uncomfortable. For years since she was sure of what to do, when and how everything should have been done. Now she was at a loss and she felt helpless.

          It was so silent that if anyone would have been standing outside the bathroom door, they could hear the moisture dripping from her hair.

          I've gone astray from my purpose, she thought, getting up slowly to look at herself in the mirror in front of the sink. I'd had promised myself that I won't even think about getting into another relationship until I'm sure my sister and mother are alright, alright to take care of themselves. I broke that promise to myself.

          She shook her head and looked away. The happy faced toothbrush that belonged to Hiba looked at her, which made her smile back. Picking it up, she studied the cartoony face that stared back at her, and then poked it back into its plastic cup. She sighed heavily; shoulders slumped, and walked out.

          When she reached her and her sister's bedroom she got changed into her pajamas and towel dried her hair. The window was already open as she went over to stand next to the computer desk, which was looking over the front of the house, and the street. The sky was darkening now and the cool air felt good to her, after all, it was a humid night. Shuddering disgustingly – since she hated the humid atmosphere inside her room – she sat down comfortably on the chair that was situated in front of the window.

          "What you doin'?" Hiba asked, poking her head around the door.

          Hira almost jumped out of her skin and turned round to look at her younger sister in surprise. Releasing a breath of relief, she placed her hand on her heart. "Hearing your voice was so sudden," she breathed, laughing a little.

          Hiba smiled playfully, and replied knowingly, "I know." She walked inside with Hira's mobile phone in her hands and handed it over. "You left it downstairs," she explained.

          "Hello, Hira Kaif speaking..." she greeted carefully.

          The person on the other side of the line was clearly hesitating.

          "Hello?" Hira persisted.

          Hiba sat next to her on the ground, leaning her elbow on her chair and her chin in her hand. Her expression scared her elder sister since she was giving an ear-to-ear smirk.

          Hira looked down at her little sister, a frown forming. She nodded her head in a way of asking her what she was up to. Shaking her head in annoyance, she was about to demand who was not speaking, when someone familiar broke their silence. The voice automatically made her nervous all of a sudden – the feeling wasn't bad or good.

          It was Kael's voice on the other side of the phone. "Hira...?" he asked again. He sounded quite unsure, which was the strangest thing for her.

          "Hi," she said quietly. She did a double-take when she saw her sister making a fish-face, while kissing – if one could – the tips of her thumb and index finger. Hiba giggled hard behind her hands when Hira pushed her playfully onto her back.

          "A – Are you – I – I mean..." He stuttered.

          "Erm, are you OK?" Hira asked. She sucked in her breath through gritted teeth. I shouldn't have asked that! she scolded herself silently. Particularly, not after the way he had acted at the party...

          "I – I – I wanted to say..." he said, taking a breath to collect himself, "I'm sorry the way I ... handled the situation yesterday evening."

          There was a long pause again.

          Hira told Hiba to go away after many attempts and bribes. In the longest sixty seconds of her life, she promised her younger sister a new dress and shoes. Sometimes her Hiba drove her crazy.

          Hiba nodded excitedly and hopped out of the room, and sensibly closed the door. But not before whispering, "I also like Kael better."

          Hira rolled her eyes. "Sorry about that little moment of weird noises that you must've heard," she replied finally, "Hiba can be a bit ... bothersome."

          Kael chuckled slightly. "That's what little sisters are for, aren't they?" he asked jokingly. "She's quite the conversationalist."

          "Why?" Hira asked at once. "What has she been saying?"

          "Nothing that you need to worry about," he assured. "Anyway ... as I apologised before..."

          She decided to let him go this time, after all, he was sorry. "It's alright," she said quietly.

          He chuckled again, thankfully.

          A smile crept onto her face. "Hm..."

          "Don't take this the other way, but," he started to say, and Hira was listening intently. "But ... after I left you with Zach, I..."

          "You ... what?" she asked, confused.

          "I realised how much I had gotten used to seeing you almost every day," he said. "I think we made quite the team, didn't we?"

          She laughed nervously, all of a sudden her hands and shoulders felt numb, and her heart sped up. This made her especially perplexed.

          "Hey, Hira?" he asked quietly.

          "Y – Yes?" she replied.

          "Are we still friends?" He sounded almost like a little boy.

          Hira felt sad for him as she recalled what Zach had explained about him. "Of course we are," she assured him. I didn't know we even were, she added silently, amused.

          "Kael, sweetheart, who are you calling?" Sonia's voice came from the phone. "Let's go, come on."

          Kael sounded a bit hesitant again. "Ah, sorry about that Hira, but I have to go now," he said, and there was some rustling.

          Hira felt hurt. She didn't like that Sonia at all and especially when she was with ... Kael. She shook her head slowly, trying not to think like that, but t didn't help her. Her nervousness was now replaced by something she had never thought she would ever experience. It was jealousy and maybe even envy for Sonia being with him.

          "One of the worse things a human can feel is jealousy, Hira," her father's words reminded her. She was only four when he had had told her this, but she remembered it clearly. "Jealousy kills people. Jealousy is an ugly thing..."

          " 'Jealousy is an ugly thing...'" she repeated to herself, staring outside the window blindly. She gasped quietly, when her thoughts were interrupted.

          "Hey, we'll meet up tomorrow," Kael said hurriedly, "You get off at five from work, right? Wait for me, I'll be there."

          Before she could say anything the line was cut. She stared at the phone in her hand. "Still you're bossy self, I see," she murmured. After a short pause she laughed. She couldn't believe that the most uptight guy, the one who would never admit that there was something wrong with him, had actually apologised to her.

          Soon the smile was gone when she saw Zach's ID blinking on the phone's screen, and the ringtone joining the slightly echoing walls.

          "Hi, Zach," she welcomed.

          "Hi, there, beautiful," he said, and she could tell that he must have been smiling. "I was wondering whether to call you or not. I wanted to ask you out on a date sometime. What do you say?"

          What could she say? "Erm..." she said, "I'm not so sure..."

          Either he was pretending not to hear her or he honestly didn't. "I was thinking tomorrow after you finish work?" he said.

          "No, sorry, I'm meeting ... someone ... after work," she answered awkwardly.

          "Who?" he asked.

          She frowned, feeling defensive. "That's up to me and the person," she said crossly. She was acting up for uselessly. "Maybe I reacted meanly. Sorry. I'm meeting Kael." Maybe I shouldn't have added the last part! she added mentally.

          "Are you feeling OK, Hira?" he asked, concerned. "You sound a little ... troubled."

          "No, no, I'm fine," she lied.

          "That's good."

          "Listen," she said uncertainly, "Maybe ... it's not such a good idea."

          He understood what she meant, and he sighed. "I understand. Some other time then..."

          "No, Zach," she cried, and then continued gently. "I need to explain something to you and I need to see you. I know that you said that you won't give up on me and all ... however, I'm – listen, let's meet up. I think it is best that I clear some things up. It will be fair. Especially on you."

          "Sure, beautiful," he replied, "When and where?"

          "Tomorrow in the afternoon, at the café I work?" she offered.

          "Perfect," he agreed. "Bye Hira."

          "Bye, Zach..." Then she disconnected the connection, taking a deep breath, and leaving it on the desk.

          Suddenly, her mother's shrill and yet, oddly posh, voice travelled up the stairs. "Hira!" she shouted. "Time for dinner!"