chapter one

"I'm not marrying that man!" Sumayya banged her hands on the dining table as her eyes filled with rage and fury. Her father sat across her, completely unfazed as he ate his breakfast. He behaved as if he didn't just announce her marriage with someone she hated with all her heart, like it was an everyday thing to do.

"Are you listening to me! I'm not marrying him. That stupid Irtaza. Ugh. I hate him so much. I'd rather die than marry someone like him." She couldn't believe how unaffected her father was. He was acting so cool, totally not his character. It provoked her more if anything.

"Besides I already love someone. I'll only marry Maaz! You can't do anything about it." She muttered with gritted teeth and threw the empty tea mug in frustration. Sumayya wanted a reaction and she was getting none. It made her so mad.

"I don't listen to no. You know that very well. So stop throwing tantrums, go and get ready. Irtaza will take you out for engagement ring shopping. It's very kind of him to take you out and give you a choice in things." Sohaib Mirza declared with a tight-lipped smile as he wiped around his mouth with a tissue and got up to leave.

"Choice? Are you kidding me right now? What's the use of that choice when I'm not given any rights to chose my life partner in the first place." Sumayya glared at her father, who grinned at her in response.

"What's your reason behind this no. Go on. I want some legit and valid reasons." Sohaib raised his brows. She huffed while glaring at her three elder brothers, who were having fun at her expense.

"I consider him as my brother. I call him Bhai." Sumayya lied through her teeth.

"No, you don't." Shahveer, who is five years older than her, added with an amused look.

"Yes, she doesn't call him Bhai. Good for her." Shehryaar, the twin of Shahveer muttered with a good laugh. She was throwing daggers at both of them while they grinned mischievously.

"Stop lying to me, Sumayya Mirza. You don't even have any valid reasons. Why are you saying no?" Sohaib was now all broody and serious. He had this scary aura whenever his mood changes from happy to irritated.

She sighed and looked at her family who were waiting for her answer.

"I just don't like him. No particular reason. I don't think we will be compatible with each other. And I love Maaz." She glanced at her mother for help, who was also eating her breakfast whilst enjoying the early morning drama.

She doesn't think they even believed her Maaz story or that she loved someone. Of course, they won't. And the fact that her family knows her too well is backfiring on her.

"He's my sister's son, Sumi. I've seen him grow up with my eyes, you'd be lucky to be married to him. Don't sabotage your own life because of ego." Sohaib explained calmly. Her face paled as she realised there was no running away from here.

"You can't force me into this, I'm not marrying him and that's final." She got up abruptly with teary eyes and ran towards her room. It was on the ground floor near the study room.

"Sumayya!" Different voices followed her behind but she paid attention to none.

"Sumayya!" She heard her other older brother call her name as he stood outside her bedroom door. It was an hour since she has locked herself in and began to sulk at the thought of marrying Irtaza.

"Bhai!" She opened her door and lets him in with teary eyes. He took a glance at her messed up room and shook his head in disappointment. She didn't even look guilty anymore while taking a seat on her bed.

"Are you serious about Maaz? I thought you were using that name as bait to escape from the marriage." Aadil asked while taking a seat beside her. She bit her lips while clutching onto her messed up bedspread.