Chapter 1 - Grace

Hi,
I'm Grace Holloway. I'm 16 years old. I live in Tampa, Florida with my father, and my mother disappeared when I was 12. I'm pretty much your average white girl. I hate school and I love Starbucks, you know. I'm not popular but I'm not unpopular either. I drown myself in music when I'm feeling down. Particularly, Shawn Mendes' music. I was one of Shawn's very first followers on vine and I've supported him ever since. Now he has a record deal and is becoming more and more famous every single day. His music has helped me so much in life. Shawn is my inspiration and I finally saved enough money and bought tickets to see him live in June.

~ ~ ~

Grace's P.O.V.

"Grace Drew Holloway, you better get your ass out of bed before you're late for school!" My dad shouted to me upstairs.

My eyes shot open and I sat straight up in bed, "I'm up dad."

Slowly I swung my legs over the side of my bed and stood up. I yawned loudly and stretched.

Today was June 3rd, 4 days before Shawn's concert.

I shuffled over to my closet and began picking an outfit for today.

High waisted jean shorts were a must. My only issue was picking the right shirt. I settled on wearing a grey crop top with a small pineapple on the front. For shoes, I chose brown strappy sandals. To top off the outfit I just had to wear a pair of Ray Bans.

I ran down the stairs with my black leather Michael Kors bag.

In the kitchen I saw my dad already on his first beer, at 6 in the morning.

I sighed. Dad's drinking problem has been getting worse.

I grabbed a banana from the counter and walked out the door, "Bye dad, I'll see you tonight."

"See you." was all he said.

Lucky for me, I get my license in August. Next school year, I won't be walking to school.

School wasn't too far from home though, only a 10 minute walk. As usual, I put my black beats headphones on and started playing Shawn's music, or at least the songs he had released. Shawn's cover of Summertime Sadness played first.

After a few songs I had arrived at school. As soon as I walked into the building my best friend Sydney came up to me.
Sydney hung her arm around my shoulders, "Who's ready to see Shawn in concert in THREE FUCKING DAYS!"

I smiled, "I sure as hell am!"

~ ~ ~

Classes went by fast today thankfully. Once school was over Sydney and I decided to take a trip to the strip malls so we could get outfits for the concert.

At Urban Outfitters I bought a pair of dark high waisted jean shorts, a loose navy t-shirt with small white stripes, and white and tan sandals.

Sydney has stepped into a dressing room to try on a dress, "Grace, you booked us a hotel for 3 days, right? So we can stalk Shawn after the concert?"

I laughed, "Oh of course I did. And yes, told my dad I'm staying at your house."

Sydney squealed with excitement, "Yay!"

~ ~ ~

I opened the front door and dropped my bags at the bottom of the stairs, "Dad, I'm home!"

No response.

"Dad?" I called out again.

I heard a mumbled slur coming from the kitchen.
When I walked in, I saw my dad drunk at the table.