Choices

The week following, Itzal spent more time than he could ever want simply lying around, listening to the conversations of Kagami, Elle, Kain, and Yonten. Although, as Elle had said, the mixture had been successful in healing his wounds, it had drained every ounce of strength he had and then some. But his weakness had provided him with an opportunity to learn about the four, and he became a little more comfortable in their presence. After all, it had been seven days, and his still wasn't dead. Still, he was happy to be on his feet again. Well, he wasn't happy at the moment. In fact, he was pacing his makeshift bedroom, frustrated out of his mind.

He wasn't allowed to leave the tight space until he had Kain's approval, and he sure as hell was taking his damn time. It had been three hours since Kagami had left to fetch him. And why did it have to be Kain of all people? Shouldn't someone who specialized in healing, like Elle, check him over? Itzal just couldn't wrap his mind around it.

The door suddenly burst open, startling the anxious boy. Kain stood in the doorway, his large build filling the frame. For a long moment, the two faced each other, neither making a sound. Itzal couldn't help the chill that creeped up his spine as he met the man's piercing blue eyes. For some reason, it felt like they were hiding some kind of dark, terrible secret.

Finally, Kain made his way into the room, shutting the door softly behind his back. Itzal didn't move a muscle, watching the man cross the room to lean on a desk.

"Glad to see you're doing better, Itzal. Come, take a seat." Something in his voice was different; it wasn't the gruff, mean tone Itzal remembered. It was soft, gentle, coaxing. It was a tone that made him shudder. But no matter the unease he felt, he followed Kain's instruction, pulling aside an old, rusted chair, slowly sitting on it. 

"Listen, Itzal. I, no, we need you to join the Resistance." Itzal sighed, leaning back against the seat. He should have know Kain was going to bring it up sooner or later. 

"Tell me what the Resistance is, and I'll consider it." Itzal responded, allowing his eyes to wander over to the corner of the room where a small spider was weaving the first few strings of its web. He watched, fascinated by the absolute precision in which it moved.

"The Resistance, huh... How should I explain it?" Kain's voice brought Itzal's attention back to the conversation. Itzal watched the man ponder over it, his heart beating a touch faster. Kain seemed to be choosing his words with the utmost caution, something Itzal knew to be wary of.

"Well, we're a group of Latents with one simple goal: change the system. You know, make it so we can live normal lives like the rest of the humans. But, in order to do that with minimal casualties, we train the Latents who join us to fully use their ability. Takes about six months, depending on how advanced the ability, until we allow them to join us in the power struggle. Maybe not the front lines, but helping us out, no less." Pleased with his explanation, Kain crossed his arms, smiling slightly.

Training... Itzal did need to develop his ability some more, if it was true he wasn't using it to its full potential. And it seemed as though they were fighting for a righteous cause. Running his fingers through his black hair, Itzal sighed, casting his gaze back toward the spiderweb. The spider had paused in its weaving, seeming to be calculating its next move.

Wasn't it safer to be in a group of other Latents?

"Can I think it over for a bit? Just for a couple days?" Itzal turned his gaze fixedly on Kain, swallowing back his nervousness. Kain smiled knowingly, nodding without a moment's hesitation.

"Take your time. Never said you'd have to make a decision right away. I'll let you alone, then. Oh, and you're free to leave your room." Kain rose to his full height, meandering over to the door. Itzal barely noticed him leave, already preoccupied with his thoughts. There were so many things to take into account... A few days... Maybe it had been too little...