(35) The Phoenix

Over the penultimate week of filming, Nina threw herself into her work completely head-first, not wanting to confront certain problems until nearer the time when they'd need to be solved; like where she was going to sleep, for one. The offer from Tom still stood; but it was likely she'd end up moving in with her sister and not her parents, since she had... unfinished business in London.

During one of her spare moments, she sat down and a thought sprung to mind about what Spielberg had said to her when she wasn't paying attention. She made a quick mental note to try and find out without making it completely obvious that she hadn't paid attention the first time around.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Tom asked from behind her and she smiled softly. When he wasn't filming, Tom had become almost like a shadow to her, looking after her like an older sibling would, keeping an eye out for her and always lending a hand if she ever needed it, but every time he smiled at her she couldn't help but think of that one kiss that they shared in the hotel in what seemed like so long ago.

"Buy me dinner and they're all yours." Nina joked quietly, spinning herself around to face him in all his glory.

"What do you prefer? Chips, or Chinese food?"

"I was kidding, Tom, it's okay. I was just...thinking."

"I wasn't kidding. Look. We'll have some takeout food and watch some movies in my room, ok?" Tom rested a gloved hand lightly on Nina's arm. "You look like you could use a rest."

"A rest from what?" Nina sighed, looking right into his brilliant blue eyes. "I've got rid of all my negative thoughts, ok? I'm coping just fine. I'll worry about things when they properly arise-"

"Like when you're getting your stuff and bringing it to mine."

"Tom." Nina nudged his arm slightly as they walked to find some shade for a moment. "We've discussed this. I don't want to get in your way...ok?"

"You won't be in my way. I've got a spare room-" Nina's heart skipped a beat as she saw the pleading look plastered across Tom's innocent-looking face but she shook her head. "It was the kiss, wasn't it?"

"What?"

"The kiss. I made things awkward by doing that." He let out a soft groan. "Why do I have to act like such a bumbling idiot sometimes?"

"Keep your voice down, Tommy boy." Nina stopped by a tree, leaning against it and folding her arms. "Don't berate yourself over it."

Tom observed her as he stood silently beside her. The way she talked; she just seemed more confident. The fact that it seemed easier for her to smile. Even the way she stood- her head was held up and she wasn't staring at the ground or slouching.

Kyle seemed to be a real burden off of her shoulders, and even after being weighed down with new problems to deal with, against all odds she'd risen from the ashes and took them all on.

Tom was beginning to see a fighter in Nina, and he liked it.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Nina piped up quietly as Tom stared into the distance. He laughed softly, that ehehe that her and everyone else had grown to love, and looked down at her.

"Have dinner with me and they're all yours."

*****

"Tom?"

"Mm?" Tom slurped up his noodles.

"Can you eat any noisier?"

"Is that a challenge, darling?" He held another forkful of noodles in front of his mouth.

"No..." Nina stared hungrily at his plate, still containing a whole heap of noodles. Her chow mein was long gone and Tom's noodles looked like a great second course.

"If you want a noodle, have a noodle." Tom mumbled over a mouthful of food. Nina leaned over with her fork to steal some, only to find her face centimetres from Tom's. "Nina?"

"Yes...?" She breathed softly, not averting her eyes, only keeping still.

"We should possibly discuss this..." Tom put his plate down slowly, the rest of his body unmoving as his eyes never left Nina, and the tension in the room grew until it felt suffocating. Neither wanted to breathe, neither wanted to move and neither wanted to start the conversation that was undoubtedly inevitable.

"I..." Nina was the first to move back, remembering to put her fork down before she impaled Tom onto the small piece of silver cutlery. Tom had other ideas. He reached out slowly, tentatively, cupping Nina's cheek as if it were a fragile piece of glass. "Don't..."

"Don't what, darling?"

"Don't-" Clearly Tom didn't want to hear her answer because in that second his lips were pressed softly to hers, just for a second, before he pulled away again, his eyes seemingly aglow. "Tom, I-"

"Move in with me." He insisted once more.

"Tom..." Nina felt like she'd just been torn in half. "Tom, I can't, I... I made plans."

"You did?" Tom looked puzzled, hurt, as he pulled back a little, yet keeping his hand where it was. "Molly?"

"Yeah. Her place." Nina sighed. "I'm going to miss you after filming, Tom..." Her admittance made Tom's heart leap. They still had a week and a little to go. Deep down, he was determined to make her change her mind.

"I'll be in London. You'll know where to find me."

"So maybe I won't be that far away."

"So close, yet so far, my love..." Tom let his hand drop and it found Nina's hand, which was just resting on the sofa between them.

There was something more between them, they both knew it, but Nina didn't want anything more to happen. She knew she wasn't the perfect woman for Tom. He'd forget about her soon enough. And Nina would go back to a quiet, hopefully pleasant life with her sister, whatever dog she ended up with...and her child.

Things would never be the same. But was that for better, or for worse?

[A/N] dun dun dun! an almost kiss! an actual kiss! and another looming plot twist...or two...you'll have to wait and see! drop a vote if you enjoyed?
yours truly :) x