Chapter 1

"Have all the meats been stored in the cellar for the next two weeks? We're starting to run low on food supplies, and winter has only just begun." General Kane asked, his face weary and impatient, and I nodded grimly.

"I'll organize another hunting group to venture out tomorrow morning. By this point, most of the animals are either burrowed in the ground or deep within the forest, I doubt we'll be able to find much. We're going to have to set up a rationing system to prevent any food shortage. No matter, Sir, I'll try my best to do whatever I can to provide more food for the camp. Still, it's not looking too good." I looked at him firmly, and he nodded, grabbing my shoulder and squeezing it.

"Just keep doing what you're doing, Councilman Blake," he said strongly, leaving for the med bay, where Abby Griffin continued to work non-stop, desperately trying to remove the flu virus that was slowly spreading across camp by treating patients with as much medical support as possible, though our supplies were running low. I let out an exasperated groan, trying to calm my jumbled mind, submerged in anxiety. The winter was proving to be extremely difficult, as sickness spread and food grew scarce. Nothing seemed to be going as planned, and that frightened me.

I miss her, I thought. I missed her guidance, her perspective. Solutions came easily to her, no matter at what cost. At this point, I was trapped. Everything I could have possibly done to protect the people had been done, but even that proved not to be enough to survive. I felt weak without her. This was something difficult to handle on my own, knowing that she was out there, struggling with her own inner demons. She might be dead, but why should I care?

She left me here to face my trauma, alone, while also being held responsible for the entire camp, and I hated her for that. But, I realized, I couldn't hate her, not after everything I knew she endured. How her lip quivered slightly, every time she killed someone, not really believing what she'd done. How she tried to pull it together, for everyone, simultaneously tearing herself to pieces. I knew her pain, but I still couldn't comfort her, for she was long past broken. Her love and dedication to our people was her downfall, and no consoling could fully repair her after what she knew she had done in order to save them. Nothing could keep her here, it was too painful for her to see their faces, knowing what she had done to save them. She needed the time, to heal, but not knowing how she was doing killed me. Clarke left us, and I never knew when she was going to come back, or what state she'd be in when she did. If she did.

Four weeks later, during the coldest day as of prior, she returned.

I had risen from my shelter in the early morning for my guard shift at the side fence. I patrolled the grounds, making sure everyone was at their assigned posts, before returning to mine. As Kane's second-in-command, I was in-charge of our guard operations, which was another responsibility I didn't really need on top of the many. I tried to avoid the slight drowsiness which remained from when I woke up, trying to gain more alertness.

That's when I heard the shouts, and the guns being locked into place.

She was here. In the distance. The guards at the entrance announced her presence at the final strip of forest, just before the hill which surrounded camp. I ran to the guards posted at the gate, as I caught sight of her exiting the thick forest, and entering the open field.

"That's definitely Clarke," I stated, observing her as she continued walking, still a considerable distance away. Her blonde hair was clearly visible in the morning light, but she still looked like a hazy figure from her current position. I ordered the guards posted to open the gate once she had made it up the hill, and alert me if there were any signs of danger.

"If someone is after her, or you see her in pain or panic, open the doors immediately, and get two men to meet her outside and help her the rest of the way. Is that understood?" They all nodded in response, preparing for her arrival, as I took a quick glance back at Clarke, strodding through the field, before making a run for it.

Author's Note

This is a new fanfiction I'm introducing based on the television series, The 100. Let me know what you think, as I always love to hear feedback! Thank you!

-Elisa Marie