Chapter 10: It Makes You Hateable

Look out for the <>!!

On a sadder note, school is starting back up meaning I will have less time to update. I might have to start posting only twice a week again.

Darla H

I walked down the stairs with a yawn and a smile on my face on the Wednesday morning, knowing I wouldn't be at the stadium today. With dad in meetings all day long, he canceled practice, allowing me to have the day off too.

"There's food on the table for breakfast," mom called out from the kitchen as I walked into the dining room.

"Thanks," I said as I looked at the cut fruit laid out for me. I took a seat and grabbed a banana and ate it as dad walked in with his standard khakis and polo outfit. A monogrammed O was on his right side of his chest showing his OSU support. "Morning."

Dad smiled at me for a second before turning his attention to the paper he held in his hands. He was distracted, and I wondered if it was because of the meetings. He was normally so calm, but something in his eyes told me this time, things were different.

"Ready to crush these meetings?" I asked.

Dad nodded as he looked at the paper in his hands. "You betchya I am."

"Paul, are you really wearing that outfit to the meeting with the president of the university?" mom asked with a tired sigh.

Dad looked at his outfit and shrugged, seeing nothing wrong with it. "Don't see why not?"

Mom shook her head as she sat down at the table with us. "Fine, I guess they should expect that from you."

"Nojo, I know I gave the day off to everyone, but could you get my phone? I left it on the field overnight," dad said as he bit into his apple.

I nodded. That was a simple enough request and if it helped him out, I would do it in a heartbeat. "Sure, I can pick it up."

He smiled at me. "You are a total rockstar."

I smiled back at him as he opened a briefcase and pulled out some papers from it to thumb through. I don't think I had ever seen him take a briefcase to an interview before. There was something very official about this which made me question what it was about. "What are the meetings about today?"

"Just about the team and the upcoming games," dad said as he waved his hand. 

The vague response made me frustrated. I was his assistant, I wanted to know more.

"Are they worried about something?"

"The team isn't playing as well as they should, and Charles has been spreading some pretty outlandish lies which has added fuel to the fire."

But I was sure Charles wasn't the only one to blame. Everett had made no effort to talk to anyone on the team. Whenever he walked into the room, it was like a silence followed him.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" It was a pretty poor question, but it was better to be asked then to sit quietly.

He shook his head. "It'll blow over like a summer windstorm real quick. We just need to hunker down as it moves in."

Yes, maybe the whatever news going on about it would blow over, but the team still wasn't playing like it should. Maybe there was something I could do about that. But as dad turned back papers, I figured this wasn't the time to hassle him for such questions.

"Paul, you'll be late if you don't leave now," mom said as she looked at her phone.

"Gee wiz, you're right. I gotta get out of here fast. Love you both, stunning ladies. I'll be back tonight," with that, he got up from his seat and walked out the door to get to his meeting.