[17] Shape-Shifted

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

Allison escorts the two redhead girls toward the school. She watches Isabel cautiously as a blank expression takes over her face. Lydia struts forward as usual, but Allison knew something was definitely wrong with Isabel.

"You really don't remember anything?" She questions her two best friends, placing a comforting hand on Isabel's back.

She jumps at the touch, making Allison give a concerned look. She watches as Isabel gulps and shakes her head before looking back to the ground as they walk up the school steps.

"They called it a 'fugue state,' which is basically a way of saying, 'We have no idea why you both can't remember running through the woods naked for two days.'" Lydia answers, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "They are making Izzy do counseling with the guidance counselor though." Allison frowns, turning to Isabel.

"What? Why?" She questions, Isabel shrugs.

"Because it's the second time she has done an 'impromptu hike' through the woods and escaped through the hospital windows like a psycho. Something about how grief must be affecting her mind and altering her mental state." Lydia scoffs, as Isabel gives her older cousin a look of disbelief. "But, personally, I don't care. I lost nine pounds."

Allison shakes her head at the lack of compassion she holds. The three stand outside the front door of the school.

"Are you ready for this?" Allison asks, directed to Isabel but Lydia scoffs at the question.

"Please. It's not like our aunt's a serial killer." She snarks, before entering the doors.

Allison and Isabel share a look before they follow behind. Everyone turns and freezes at the sight of the two girls. Isabel could hear the whispers around her swarming her mind.

"Maybe it's the nine pounds?" Allison whispers to Lydia, as she takes a deep breath and struts off in frustration.

Allison turns to Isabel and takes her hand, before guiding her over to her locker. "I need to run to class, do you have a free period?" Allison asks. Isabel looks like she wants the ground to swallow her whole.

"They've changed my free period to counseling." Isabel sighs, gently shutting her locker. She turns to see Allison giving a sympathetic look. "I don't know what's happening, Ally."

Allison watches the tears well up in her eyes and encases her best friend in a warm hug. The two separate at the sound of the school bell, signaling the first period. Allison holds the ginger girl's arms.

"I promise we will figure this out, ok?" She whispers. Isabel looks into her eyes, sees the determination behind them and nods. "Good." Allison smiles. "I'll see you after school for our study session." She leaves with a small smile.