47. I Dont Wanna Be Me Anymore

The deafening sound of police sirens is what broke Devyn out of her stupor, rather than the fact that she was borderline bleeding out

The deafening sound of police sirens is what broke Devyn out of her stupor, rather than the fact that she was borderline bleeding out. The tears were still thick on her cheeks, salt on her tongue, and pain in her chest. John B was a part of her, a part of all of them, and she could feel the emptiness beginning to grow even after five seconds of him being gone.

JJ still had a firm grip on her, helping to keep her upright but also clinging to her to battle his sadness. The yearning looks Pope and Kiara were exchanging were not unfamiliar to the Keoka girl, a pained smirk playing at her lips as she watched.

"Help me back to the car," Devyn whispered, her hand making its way on top of JJ's, giving him a gentle squeeze.

"We need to get you to the hospital, doll," JJ shook his head, holding half of her weight up as she turned to get the other two's attention.

"Wait!" Devyn whisper-yelled, staggering to a stop. "Give them a minute, trust me."

"You're delusional," JJ chuckled, although his confidence didn't last long when Kie and Pope locked lips, his face falling slack in shock.

"Told you so," Devyn smirked proudly, though the smile dropped when the blare of police sirens began to get closer.

"Hey, guys, I'm sorry to ruin the party, but, uh, we gotta go right now," JJ spoke loudly, properly getting their attention.

Pope and Kie hopped down from the dock while JJ practically dragged Devyn along, although all four stopped short when two police cars sped in, blocking their exit.

The cars had barely stopped before armed SBI agents jumped out, guns aimed, although none of them could look away from Shoupe. Devyn's jaw clenched with burning hatred once more, her head lolling as she fought to stay conscious.

Kiara immediately put her hands up, yelling for Pope to do the same.

"Move. Hands up! Hands up!" One of the men yelled, a firm grip on his gun.

"I'm a bit preoccupied here!" JJ screamed back, one arm around Devyn's waist, and the other lightly slapping her cheek as her eyes fluttered open and closed.

"Were too late, he's gone. Goddammit!" Shoupe cursed angrily. "Bratcher, have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids. All right, where the hell is he?"

When none of them answered, the man continued screaming.

"JJ? I see you're livin' up to your name. Pope, how about you? This isn't a fucking game! You can do the right thing right now! Where'd he go?"

"Up yours, Shoupe," Devyn retorted weakly, the shirt Pope had tied around her wound now completely drenched as JJ struggled to keep her upright.

"Suspect has just left Station 26 in a small boat. Need marine patrol to respond," the SBI officer, Bratcher, as Shoupe had called him, informed his units over the radio.