Chapter 1

"Wake up, Peeta. It's the day of the reaping," my father says, tugging my blankets off of me. I groan before processing what he said, It's the day of the reaping. My eyes shoot open and I fly up from bed. The reaping! 

"Someone's excited," my father chuckles. How is this funny? "Well, get dressed. Have to look spiffy for the reaping," he says before exiting my bedroom. I stare at the wall ahead of me and shudder, today is the day where I could possibly be sentenced to death.

I shudder again and climb out of bed. I trudge over to my closet, where I have about 3 full outfits. I pull out my cleanest and best one, a white button down shirt and black belt pants with black shoes. I throw the outfit on then search for my hair gel. When I can't find it, I automatically know who took it.

"Shayden!" I yell, walking to my older brothers room. "Yes, Peeta?" he smirks, holding my gel in his one hand. "Give it," I say, holding my hand out. "Ya know, Peeta, I don't think I will," he says, holding it behind his back.

I reach behind him and try to grab it, but he switches it to the other hand. "Shayden, we have to be ready soon, just give me the gel," I say. He groans, "you're no fun, maybe going through The Hunger Games will make you a real man, if you could survive!" he jokes.

I bite my bottom lip to hide my disappointment in how much faith he has in me and grab the gel. "Thanks," I murmur before walking back to my bedroom. I apply the gel in my hair and look at myself in the cracked mirror. My blonde hair is now in a stiff quiff and my outfit looks pretty nice.

I walk downstairs and to the kitchen where my family is. "There you are Peeta, we were waiting," my father says, linking his arm with my mothers. My mothers glances at me, a wave of discust washing over her face then returns to its emotional state. My mom was never really fond of me because I am not as good as Shaylen, but I couldn't care less.

We walk out of the house, side by side walking down the pebble walkway. Me and Shaylen walk side by side as my parents cling to eachother like magnets and glue. "Do you think you'll be picked?" he asks me in barely a whisper

I don't answer, in fear that I could jinx myself. "If you do, we both know you won't survive," he tried and I grunt a response. He is really bad a jokes. When we finally made it to the reaping place, and I knew this because of the huge crowd of people, me and my brother stood in line to wait for our turn.

"Next," the peace keeper says, grabbing my hand without waiting for me to retaliate. She turns my hand to find my pointer finger and plucks it, making me wince. Blood pours out of the little wound and she stains the paper with the blood, then pushes me along to join the rest of my peers.

I look around and finally find who I was looking for. He spots me and smiles, waving me over. I walk over, "the tons of people here and only 2 get picked," he exclaims in a meer whisper. I nod, "what if it's you or me, Brandon?" I ask my bestfriend. He shrugs, ''then we're two unlucky guys, eh?" he asks and chuckles.

I laugh nervously and we wait for the people to pile in. "Look who's here," Brandon whispered to me and I looked around and finally my eyes landed on her, the girl I have had a crush on since the 2nd grade, Katniss Everdeen.

"Welcome, welcome!" someone interupts my thoughts and I turn my attention to the colorful lady on the stage. "Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour! Now, before we begin, a message was sent to us from the capitol," she says and a large screen lights up.

War, Terrible war. Widows, orphans a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. Then came the peace; hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated. We swore as a nation that we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute. One young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victors, bathed in riches, would serve a reminder of our generosity and forgiveness. This is how we remember our past, this is how we safeguard our future.

I scoff. We watch this video each year, like we will forget what it says. "I just love that!" the wig lady beams, a V shaped smile forming on her caked face. I roll my eyes as she continues, "well, as every year, well start with the girls!" she says as she walks over to one of the big fish bowls places on eather ends of the stage.

She dips her hand into the bowl, searching for a note. She finally picks one, pulling it out. She opens it, very carefully like it holds the answer to the end of this world we live in. She examines it and finally speaks, "Primrose Everdeen!"

My face drains of color. Every girl on their side turns to a little blonde girl. The girl has a horrified expression plastered on her little face and she walks forward. She reaches behind her and tucks in her shirt, then returns her hands to her sides.

"Prim!" someone screams and I invert my eyes from Primrose to.. No! "Prim!" Katniss screams again, peacekeepers holding her back by her arms. "I volunteer!'' Katniss yells and the peacekeepers let her arms go, shocked faces. "I volunteer as tribute"

"Well, it looks like we have a voulenteer," wig lady says, shocked as the rest of us. Katniss walks up to the stage and all I can do is stare. I'm horrible. The girl I love is being sentenced to her well known death while I watch.

"What's your name, hun?" wig lady asks Katniss, rubbing her arm for comfort. Katniss clears her throat, "Katniss," she says but her voice cracks at the end. "Well," wig lady says, her smile returning to her face, "I bet my hat that was your sister," she says. Just shut up, I think to myself.

"Yes," Katniss agrees, looking down. "Well, now for the boys," wig lady continues, awkwardly. She walks to a seperate bowl, reaching her hand in. She pulls out a note and opens it, adding a silence for effect.

"Peeta Mallark!"