Running

The runner was alone as she battled against the excruciatingly steep hill, her breath coming in short, ragged, gasps

The runner was alone as she battled against the excruciatingly steep hill, her breath coming in short, ragged, gasps. She was almost bent double, her side engulfed by the burning pain of a bad stitch. Gritting her teeth, she pushed forward through the pain, one stride at a time, her eyes fixed forward, determination framing her sweaty face.

At last she stumbled to the top of the forest hill and stopped, bent over, gasping for air as the sharp stitch continued to stab her side. After a few moments, she stood and turned, slowly walking a few metres along a tiny trail that branched off from the path, hidden by the bushy arm of a tree.

Still puffing heavily, she scrambled down the slight incline, emerging onto a small clifftop, then, as usual, sat down on the edge, her feet dangling. Her keen, calculating gaze sweeping the view before her.

It seemed grey to her, as it always did. The sight of the forest was not what interested her, but instead the distance between the cliff edge and the forest floor below.

Would it hurt? The girl wondered as she looked, would it hurt if I just jumped off?

The same question that she asked herself every time she came out here.

Maybe... but it looks far enough down that it should kill me.

A tear escaped as the solitary figure pondered whether the jump would be worth it. As she contemplated whether it would end her pain. If anyone would miss her.

No one will care if I jump. She thought to herself. Her throat tightened as she gazed down, leaning forward slightly,
Should I?

"Excuse me, is that space next to you taken?"

The girl started at the unexpected sound of a warm, friendly voice, and she hurriedly wiped away the single tear with a quiet sniff, shaking her head with a small murmured laugh,
"Heh, um... no, it's free."

The stranger sat down, easing himself down next to her. They sat in silence for a second, both awkwardly looking at the scenery and avoiding each others gaze.

Then the teen boy begun,
"It's a beautiful view, isn't it?"

The girl shrugged, "I suppose so."

He eyed her curiously, before asking,
"So if it's not the view that brings you here, what is it?"

She thought for a moment, before carefully answering,
"It's a good place to think."

He nodded and leant back, his hands splayed on the rocky ground behind him,
"I suppose it is."

"Yea."

When she didn't say anything else, he continued,
"I think I've seen you around quite a few times, you normally run here hey?"

"Yup." She shortly responded with a curt nod.

"I also go running, it's a good way to clear your head."