Love At First Serve

Heh, heh. Get it. Cause it's a romance and it involves volleyball. So, its Love at First SERVE.

Yep, I'm so punny

Anyway, here is a story for all you peoplez on Wattpad. I came up with the idea for this when making a previous work, but felt I could make this into its own story somehow. Hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Craig! Catch!"

Being on the bus, you can expect a lot of things to be thrown around. Clumps of paper, maybe a pencil or even a book. A football isn't on that exclusive list. Yet, here I was, sitting on the bus, with a football flying directly over my head.

Looking at the culprits of all this, it wasn't exactly surprising. They were big, jock looking types who were certainly excited about the upcoming football season. As happy as they might be, though, throwing a football around on the bus still seemed a bit extreme.

"Hey! Stop throwing that around!", screamed out the voice of the bus driver. The guys let out a collective groan. Some other kids let out a collective sigh of relief. I was one of them.

James River High School was my place of education. I had transferred there last year, hoping to find a nice, calm atmosphere. In some ways I found that. In other ways, not so much.

Thankfully, our school wasn't filled with rebels and fights weren't a common occurrence. It could still get hectic at times, though, with its huge population and its seemingly undying love for its sports programs. Mainly Basketball and Football.

I never got into sports myself. I mean, I wasn't exactly built for them. I was tall, lanky, and had little in terms of muscle. I wasn't skilled enough at dribbling a ball effectively, and the idea of being tackled kind of sounded like Hell on earth to me. I was more cut out to be a referee, if anything. You know, those guys with the striped shirts that everyone gets mad at. Yeah, that made more sense to me.

The bus slowed to a halt and the students occupying it slowly rose from its seats, myself included. I was glad to get off, ready to escape the disorder and the strange smell of body odor that was filling the bus this morning. I would not be surprised if that was cause of the jocks also. In a kind of orderly fashion (as orderly as 15 to 18 year olds can be), the kids came off the bus in single file.

"See you later Mrs. Jeffries", I said to the bus driver. She returned me a warm smile. She might have seemed a bit mean yelling at the ball tossers a bit ago, but in reality, she was incredibly nice. One of the nicest people I knew at school, anyway.

Descending the steps of the bus, I stepped onto the concrete and walked with the cavalcade of kids going to the school entrance. On the way, I gave a nice, hearty yawn. School had only started a week ago and I, like quite a few other kids, hadn't readjusted to the whole prospect of getting up at 7 AM everyday.

Walking through the propped open doors, I was greeted by the relative warmth of the school. It felt quite nice compared to the outdoors. It could get a bit chilly in northern Virginia, even in mid-September. The school's heating was one of the things I looked forward to in school, although I could feel the same at home so I suppose it wasn't that great. But, I'm happy with anything that might actually make school seem fun.

Taking a right turn down the hallway, with the lunch room entrance at the end of it, one thing was quite noticeable. Strewn about the length of the school's walls was multiple posters. They, unsurprisingly, promoted the football team. Most were quite big and were plastered with the colors of navy blue and gold. Made sense, since they were are school colors. They also exclaimed pretty corny or cliche lines, like "Go Thunderbirds!" or "We FLY over our competition!".