Thunderclap

The pair walked down a dirt road, watching as the buggy zoomed away in front of them. The girl pursed her lips, turning to her companion,
"I'm sorry they left you behind."

The boy shrugged his shoulders,
"It's not your fault they decided to be jerks."

"I guess..." the girl murmured, "still, they promised to let you hitch a ride this time. Selfish pricks to make you walk with that twisted ankle of yours."

He started, looking at her with surprise,
"You noticed my sore foot?"

She nodded, quietly adding,
"Yea. I noticed you limping earlier. It's rotten to leave you, I say."

"Yea, well... what's done is done." He dismissed it with a shake of his head, then asked, "what about you Abby, why were you walking alone, in this rain?"

Her face fell, her tone sad,
"No one ever waits for me. It's not like anyone cares."
"Oh."
"Yea..."

After a monetary lapse of awkward silence, Abigail added,
"It's nice to think though. And I like taking in the scenery. You miss things when you rush."

The boy gave a crooked smile,
"I guess so, I never thought of it like that!"

Then they began to talk, engaging in a deep, meaningful, genuine conversation which was fated to occur when two people are exhausted after four days of a school camp. After a while, James admitted, with a sigh,
“I’ve been trying to be better this camp, I’m normally always just focused on myself, so I’ve been trying really hard to act as part of a team and help others.”

Abby smiled encouragingly,
“I noticed that. You’ve done a really good job, helping out everyone.”

He smiled back,
“Thanks. That means a lot coming from someone like you.” He paused, “and, for what it’s worth, I know how much time and effort you put in, always helping everyone else even when you’re tired or having a bad day. It’s not fair how they treat you. How they thank you by just leaving you behind and forgetting you.”

“Thanks,” the girl replied, her voice catching as she looked away from his earnest, kind face, blushing softly and kicking a pebble on the road, but also trying to keep back the tears that threatened to burst forth.

She had put in so much effort and work over the past years, trying her best to help others, despite her own immense personal struggles, without a single word of thanks. Yet James had noticed.

The rain, previously a light drizzle, began to pour down. But the two continued to just walk along, laughing and chatting. Their cheery conversation was cut off as a large flash of light rippled through the grey sky. 

Suddenly, and much sooner than expected, a loud, sharp, CLAP of thunder startled them.
Frightened, Abby jumped and clutched James’ arm. Once the thunderclap faded, she turned to him. She blushed as she realised what she had done, felt the tingle where their skin touched. 

She went to withdraw her hands, murmuring a hasty apology, her gaze averted, but James gently held onto her, his voice low and warm,
“No need to apologise.”

Then she looked up at his handsome face, and their eyes met. Blue met amber. Boy and girl.

The air felt electric as they leant in, getting closer.

Then their lips met in a slow, tender kiss, their bodies entwined as the rain pelted down around them, sheltering them from the rest of the world as a quiet, distant, thunderclap played the symphony of their hearts.